Light-O-Rama Forums

Thinking of switching back to LOR- channel setups

FBW4

Been using another SW package for RGB but tired of crashing. What is the best way to set up RGB channels in LOR3? I mean, I have 16 universes of pixels to start with and probably at least that many more if I decide to use it.

I want to be able to set up 450 channels in each of 16 universes. Seems like a lot of manual config unless there is a device I can add or something.....

Advice?

Welcome back to LOR! You can right click on your channel list inside a sequence and hit "insert new device above/below" and the following box will appear............

universe1.PNG

Now just choose the universe#1 (for the first universe) and channel count# 450 you need so if you have 16 universes you need to do this 16 times for your setup numbering universes 1-16. That will create regular dmx channels then just right click on the top channel and hit "convert channel to rgb" a box will pop up again, this time check "do this for the following channels and type 150. Then you can right click the channels again and create groups like I'v done above.

Oh and one other side note. Make sure you set up that many universes in the LOR network configuration. On initial testing in the house I only added 8 universes but once all my pixels were outside I needed 20+. I had them set up in the sequencer and on the controller but nothing was lighting up in the yard past universe 8. Scratched my head for over an hour, tested power supplies, changed speed rates on controllers, climbed up on the roof and changed connections. Then a oh YEA moment.......................

20%20universes.PNG

Dont forget to add them to the network config!

Thanks man! I appreciate it.

On another topic, does LOR send E131 data out to the lights in the sequencer editor? I mean, when I am sequencing, it always would control anything plugged up and on but not for my E131 so far.

LSP does, Madrix does, but LOR does not so far. Is that normal or might I have a config issue?

Thanks man! I appreciate it.

On another topic, does LOR send E131 data out to the lights in the sequencer editor? I mean, when I am sequencing, it always would control anything plugged up and on but not for my E131 so far.

LSP does, Madrix does, but LOR does not so far. Is that normal or might I have a config issue?

LOR does too. You need to make sure LOR Control Panel is running it will auto load LORListener (a separate program that runs in the background) which is required for DMX and E131 communications.

---Michael

I have been using the sequence editor to paly stuff without any probelms. I have not scheduled a show but I have no doubts it will work. The one thing I like about the E1.31 device is I can shutdown the listener on my show PC and start it on my laptop and sling DMX from it. I was also able to use the cat5 wiring in my house so it simplifies running cat5 outside on the ground for me.

LOR S3 will output from the sequencer. As posted, the DMX listener must be running or nothing happens.

Also, even if you don't plan to use a USB based dongle (FTDI based) as one of your networks, make sure you have plugged it in so that certain drivers that LOR expects will be loaded. Once done, you don't need it connected.

There is a workaround listed in another post. The easiest thing is just to install one even though you don't have to use it or even list it in your config.

So does DMX listener run when I am sequencing or jsut when I have shows scheduled? I mean to say, is there a program I have to load or does the Control Panel just run it automatically? I do not see an app names that and assume it is something that is called by the CP or the SEQ.

Guest wbottomley

So does DMX listener run when I am sequencing or jsut when I have shows scheduled? I mean to say, is there a program I have to load or does the Control Panel just run it automatically? I do not see an app names that and assume it is something that is called by the CP or the SEQ.

Go back and read post #6.

The control panel needs to be running which starts the listener only when you control lights. For sequencing alone no. If you want to control the lights from the sequencer then yes. It also needs to be running for a show to control lights.