Light-O-Rama Forums

Paste by Time

Rapajez

This has bothered me for a while now. Everything always drifts a little to the right when I use this feature, and no longer lines up with my timings.

Is there a way to use "Paste by Time", and force everything to snap to your timing grid? Am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried using paste by cell? Paste by time does just that - with no connection to a timing grid. Also, have you tried stretch-to-fit while pasting?

Also, there's sometimes a centisecond of slop over (or under) relative to timing marks due to the fact that's the smallest time interval that LOR uses. For example, if you're dividing one second by three, two of those segments will be 33 centiseconds long and the third will be 34 centiseconds long.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I usually use paste by cell if the timing grids line up. The problem is I usually chop up or re-arange the grid when I'm doing the first few seconds of sequencing, and then try to copy-paste onto an "untouched" grid for the rest of the section. Can't use paste-by-cell for that.

That makes sense about the "slop over". I was hoping there was some kind of "snap to grid" type of thing, that would cancel out that slop over.

Edited by Rapajez

Are you aware that you can use many different timing grids on any/all sequences? You can swap different ones in and out anytime you like without any changes being made to what you've already sequenced.

A timing mark is just a line drawn in the sequence. In and of itself a timing mark has nothing to do with any lighting commands. They serve as convenient starting points (and ending points) for lighting commands. Even though a timing mark might not line up precisely with the beginning or ending of a lighting event, for any number of reasons, that event will indeed occur precisely at the time it was programmed to occur.

Is there a way to use "Paste by Time", and force everything to snap to your timing grid? Am I just doing something wrong?

I agree with George that you might want to try a different timing grid. For foundation/education, check out the training video here: http://youtu.be/2RXoF10ooF0

A technique you might want to try that works for me in a similar situation (If I am understanding you correctly) is to create a free timing grid with no timing marks. At 5:50-6:00 in the video one is created in a new sequence, but as George Simmons suggested, you can make a different timing grid in your existing sequence. At that 5:50-6:00 spot in the video, a new single timing line is made. I create one mark like this and then "Paste by Time" after that single line. Once everything is pasted, I can drag that single line to make the audio line up with the lighting sequence.

Another similar way to do this is to delete a few timing marks at the beginning of your sequence, making one large cell at the beginning of the sequence. Again, adjust the first timing mark to see if you can line up with the music.

Lastly, you can use the Skew command to shift the tracks to earlier or later. I am not at my LOR computer, so sorry that I can not describe a click-by-click solution. But that technique will shift all of your sequencing out of the timing grids and you can try to align the audio with your sequence.

Good luck and please post your solution and what worked for you!!

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

I found that I run the mp3s throught audacity first my songs where all over the place before i started doing this seams to fix the problem