Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding Controllers over 10

mmais68569

When I add controller # 10,11,12,13,14,15& 16 I see OA,OB,OC,OD,OE,& OF. Are these the same as numbered controllers &if so is there anything special needed to be do to control them?

Thanks Mike

If you assign a controller the address of "10" then you must assign it the address of "10" in the Sequence Editor.

If you assign a controller the address of "0A" then you must assign it the address of "0A" in the Sequence Editor.

Nothing special needed. Just make sure the addresses are setup the same on the board and in the SE.

Counting in Hex goes

1 = 01

2 = 02

3 = 03

4 = 04

5 = 05

6 = 06

7 = 07

8 = 08

9 = 09

10 = 0A (Hex is a 16 based number system instead of 10 so you run out of digits so they use letters instead)

11 = 0B

12 = 0C

13 = 0D

14 = 0E

15 = 0F

16 = 10 (Instead of carrying the one to the next slot at 10, we do it at 16)

17 = 11

32 = 20

33 = 21

...and so on.

When I add controller # 10,11,12,13,14,15& 16 I see OA,OB,OC,OD,OE,& OF. Are these the same as numbered controllers &if so is there anything special needed to be do to control them?

Thanks Mike

IMHO, the best argument to use the hexdecimal addresses is that you can set the Hardware Utility to search for far, far fewer controllers than it defaults to out of the box. This alone will save you hours of time when you do a refresh to check on your network(s).

Edited by George Simmons

IMHO, the best argument to use the hexdecimal addresses is that you can set the Hardware Utility to search for far, far fewer controllers than it defaults to out of the box. This alone will save you hours of time when you do a refresh to check on your network(s).

NO CRAP. Just learned something today. That does save time. How many hours did I click refresh walk away and come back to find few controllers missing to refresh again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DdeLUA0Fms&feature=related

Thanks jstorms

Let me see if I have it now. I have 16 controllers, the first nine will be numbered 1-9. Then the rest will be:

Controller 10- OA

11-OB

12-OC

13-OD

14-OE

15-OF

16-10

Thanks Mike

You don't have to number them sequentially. You can skip. Personally, prior to changing to DMX, I only used the "decimal" numbered IDs, ignoring the Hex numbers.

Not that I have anything against hexidecimal. Some of my best friends are hexidecimal.