Light-O-Rama Forums

Error loading files exported from SuperStar into the Sequence Editor

aurickle

Since Friday I've been using the heck out of SuperStar to sequence my RGB's and standard lights. However, this evening I suddenly started getting the attached error when I'd go to open the exported sequence in the Editor so that I can perfect the sequences.

I have tried rebooting the computer to no avail. After rebooting, I can load the .sup file in SS but when I export it I am still unable to import the resulting file into the Sequence Editor. My sequences that were saved using the Editor still open fine.

Now I'm now suddenly nervous about using SS as my starting point for the remaining songs I want to do this year. Any ideas on how to prevent this problem? I've uploaded the files to DropBox and they can be accessed via this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m4pciymdnkok5x8/tk8Jd-Cekr

Hopefully the files themselves will provide a hint as to what's going on. Maybe they can even be fixed?

Thanks!

post-6874-0-64552600-1352789064_thumb.jp

Oops. The .sup files don't load in SS after all. I get a message that the length of the audio file is shorter than the length of the effects. If I say yes to loading the file, I only get about 8 seconds. Other programs (including the Sequence Editor) have no problem playing the song, though.

I downloaded, tried to open and received the same error. Are you able to open other .lms files? It looks like a corrupted file, but I don't know for sure.

Yes, I can open other files without a problem. It's only files I export from SuperStar.

However, I just did a quick test with SS on Silent Night. It loaded into Sequence Editor just fine.

I wonder if the problem isn't with the one specific song? I'll try re-saving the song out of GoldWave with slightly different settings to see if that resolves the problem.

Ok, I adjusted the song from 128 kbps to 96 and duplicated my settings I'd been using last night for the song. The resulting sequence came into the Editor just fine.

By the way, I LOVE SuperStar at this point. In past years I've used sequences that other people have shared, mostly just shifting channels around to fit my layout. That was a great way to get started in this hobby, but I was also sorely limited. A) I had to find a shared sequence. B) I had to like the particular version of the song that the original person had used. C) I had to be able to find where to buy the exact same track that the sequence had been done for. That was very restrictive, although I still put great displays together.

Bringing my Visualizer file into SuperStar and using the Instant Sequence feature has allowed me to switch to entirely new sequences for the songs I've previously used while also adding a slew of new songs. My first year I had 9. Last year I had 14. This year it looks like I'm going to have 35! (Even with adding 8 CCB pairs into the display.) The secret to getting the most out of the Instant Sequence feature lies in the Timing Map. Once you understand how that map influences the Instant Sequence results you can get really incredible stuff in short order. I was able to do four songs yesterday, with completely original sequencing. Of course, I don't use EVERYTHING that the IS feature outputs... I use the Editor to take the best channels or even the best segments from those channels, turning each song into a nuanced performance that builds with the song or even tells a story. On top of that, every song has different effects going on, Things I wouldn't have dreamed of without SS.

It's really cool. There's no way I could accomplish so much in such a short time without SS. If there's interest, then when I get some free time I'll put together a step-by-step tutorial for what I'm doing.