Light-O-Rama Forums

new to dmx

kissfan4

ok, so i was looking around on youtube and was watching the videos of what people have done with the CCR and i would really like to add this to my display, but then it hit me, the videos i was watching used 12 CCR's at 250 bucks each that idea went right out the window. Well i saw a video title DMX CCR for under $100, so i watched it and now believe DMX may be the way for me to go, but i have a few questions. 1st off, can you achieve the same look as the LOR CCR using this? and can you run DMX in your sequence that i already have programed?

Yes you can. If you have Superstar, just draw a visualization and import it into Superstar. Then, sequence with SS. Be careful how you draw the vis. The pixels have to be the same, I.e. #1 at the bottom, all #1s have to be at the bottom.

To run DMX with your existing setup you'll need another RS485 for the DMX side.

Edited by Ron Boyd

I understand the cost issue with large numbers of CCRs! I bought 3 sets of CCPs when they first came out in the sale earlier this year, and that was bad enough on my wallet. I will likely use them for arches, but this year they may just get hung on the eves. With my landscaping project, I don't have time for much sequencing. Next year should be better for that.

I will be running a 12 string "tree" using pixel strings I bought from Ray Wu and a SanDevices E682 E1.31 controller. I think it makes a huge amount of sense to run the high volume of data for the tree over ethernet rather than RS-485. With 12 strings, the recommendation would be several networks just for the tree. With E1.31 and a dedicated 100 megabit network, I don't anticipate any network congestion issues.

Total cost for the lighting stuff (not counting the mechanical structure)

$328 12 pixel strips and power supply (including shipping from China)

$117 SanDevices E682 E1.31 controller (including shipping and I built the kit)

$445 Total

If you don't mind me asking something. First, I don't know anything about E1.31, yet. I plan on bringing myself up to speed on it after this season. That brings me to my question, how difficult is it to get the E1.31 up and running? As I understand it, it runs through the Ethernet port on the PC. My second question is, does that PC have to be hardwired to the internet connection or can the PC be connected through a wireless connection. I won't ask about dedicated network, but I'll listen if you want to answer.

I am going to do my research starting in January, but just thought I'd send out a feeler or two.

I do understand this time of year and how pushed we are in crunch time. So I'll say thank you for an answer and thank you for reading if you don't have the time to answer. I completely understand.

Ron

• The topic was locked