Light-O-Rama Forums

New comer from Sydney Australia

SydneyXmasLights

Gday

Just wanted to drop in and say hi from down under. I am new to light o rama this year and sort of jumping in the deep end with 96 channels.

I am still waiting for my order to get filled ( They are waiting on 240 V boards that should be in this week - Finger and toes are crossed ), but have everything ready to go.

I have planned my music sequences and designed my shows.

My only question is that it gets very hot down here ( over 110 ) and just wanted to know how the controller boxs go in direct sunlight, should i creat a little shade for them?

Just hoping it all turns up on time.

Nice to part of it though and looking forward to seeing all of your shows.

Adam

Welcome to the world of flashing lights! Congrats on getting all that done and not even having the controllers yet. As for the heat issue there, personally I think that would be a concern. Heat is electronic's worst enemy therefore you should indeed at least provide shade. You might consider a fan as well, if the controllers are located in one spot. Now there are other ways of getting rid of heat such as heat sinks and so on, but how to do that with these controllers, I have no clue. I would suggest keeping the enclosure door open with a fan on but you also don't want any dust contamination in there.

Edited by dgrant

Hi Adam

I've been running my controllers without specific cooling for several seasons. Several DC and 1 AC controller are in metal (meter) boxes which during the day can get almost too hot to hold your hand on. But during the day, the lights are not on so there is minimal electrical heating. I do keep my controllers powered 24/7 during setup and the show season (all November-December).

I have had no heat related problems in Brisbane which does get hot also although we rarely get the high extremes of Sydney.

Welcome to the madness, im down south of Sydney in Albion Park.

The heat has not been an issue for me and my house is facing west with black roof tiles. I have a couple of controller boxes setup on the second story roof tiles that I have used for the last couple of years with no issue. So it shouldnt be an issue as long as you dont run the lights when the controller is in the sun and really there is no need anyway.

Also you may be interested in giving the AusChristmasLighting forums a visit as there are lots of of Aussie and US LOR members there

They have the best advice since they are there in that environment with you. I was thinking if its really a serious issue, put the controllers in a dog house type thing with a small room AC unit. It'll drop the temp 20 Deg F from the outside temp.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Nice to know ther is so much infomation out there and people willing to share.

I have still had no word from LOR about my controllers, still have all my bits crossed though.