Light-O-Rama Forums

Deal on Extension Cords

Ed Slonka Jr

Being new this is probably a stupid question.

What issues could arise of from using indoor plugs outside?

nothing as long as your using gfci outlets.... really the only thing is uv protection indoor plugs don't have it.

Guest wbottomley

Being new this is probably a stupid question.

What issues could arise of from using indoor plugs outside?

Since it's colder outside, electrons tend to move slower in indoor rated cords which causes things to slow down or be delayed. Outdoor rated cords don't have that problem. Even though they have the same copper core, they [electrons] like things much warmer.

Guest Don Gillespie

Since it's colder outside, electrons tend to move slower in indoor rated cords which causes things to slow down or be delayed. Outdoor rated cords don't have that problem. Even though they have the same copper core, they [electrons] like things much warmer.

;)

Guest wbottomley

Do they have different colors for different speeds?

I know that red is the fastest and black is the slowest. I avoid all costs to use black one because the other cords become racists.

William, don't forget that you can now adjust the dimming curves on the newer gen controllers to account for this.

nothing as long as your using gfci outlets.... really the only thing is uv protection indoor plugs don't have it.

Right. And those gfcis will definitely protect against issues caused by the lack of UV protection. ;)

I use the indoor cords (slower) on my shorter runs and outdoor cords (faster) on my longer runs. Changing the color is really just a fine tuning thing. By doing this, my timing is spot on even if my programming is off a little.

:)

I use the indoor cords (slower) on my shorter runs and outdoor cords (faster) on my longer runs. Changing the color is really just a fine tuning thing. By doing this, my timing is spot on even if my programming is off a little.

:)

Darn, ran out of likes for the day!

Thanks guys. Going to pick some up tomorrow if they have them. I'm in the Dallas area so we really don't have winter temps until late January early February typically. But we are supposed to have a light freeze over night then warm up quickly.

We had that same issue last winter with the exceptionally warm weather we had. I pride myself on my sequencing skills, but the darn weather made my display look like I'd never even seen the software before last year.

My advice would be to sequence for the warmer weather that you usually have in big D during December. The synchronization issues will be very small when it gets colder, unless it gets well below freezing. At the same time, as it gets colder your audience will more likely be in motion a little bit themselves - stomping or moving around to keep warmer - and as a result they won't notice slight variations in the synchronization. That's assuming, of course, that you do a top-notch job of matching the beats in the first place. If your synchronization is a bit off from the get-go then no one will notice the temperature-inspired variances.

Keep us posted how it goes. Every experience adds to the forum's knowledge base.

Edited by George Simmons

Well, I did get 3 cords for that price and that is all they had in stock, the good thing is it goes until Dec. 5.

I avoided the speed issues by getting white cords. Since white is theoretically the absence of color then I should theoretically be void of any speed issues! :P

I easily solved the timing issue by stripping the internals out of several electric blankets and wrapping the indoor rated cords with them.

I need to mention that it's imperative that you remove the insulation from the heater elements (after all there is no longer a blanket to catch on fire anyway) to ensure the best possible heat transfer.

I have one sequence where my timings are a bit too fast so I turn the heaters off for that song.

Hope that helps! B)

Edited by EvilM0nkey