Light-O-Rama Forums

Choosing your songs

ericnagel

Nothing technical here...

I tend to pick more "non-traditional" songs for my display, mainly because I like a strong beat or something up-tempo. This weekend, someone commented on a Facebook status, "to be honest we've never heard most of the songs u play" (here's last year's playlist:

plus, of course, Wizards In Winter)

I've got 3 new songs picked out for this year, but I know 2 of them nobody has ever heard (well, someone here may have, but not anybody coming to see my lights).

How do you choose what songs to sequence? Are you doing this for yourself, or for your audience? Do you include traditional songs that people can sing along with, or are you introducing new music to your visitors?

I'm a Rock-n-roller from way back, so a lot of my songs are based on that. I am quite heavy on TSO, but I also have Frosty from The movie Jack Frost with Michael Keaton, a nice Blues version of Frosty the Snowman, I am Santa Claus by Bob Rivers. There's some Mannhiem in there also. I have some stuff from the Polar Express and The Chipmunks.

In my opinion, traditional Christmas songs are great but I use them to break-up the strong beat type songs. It really depends on what you're willing to listen to a couple hundred times during sequencing.

That's my thought on how I pick the songs for my show.

Very nice sequencing by the way

Edited by Ron Boyd

I use all up beat songs myself. I do this for myself and my audience. I am not a fan of slow very traditional songs. It's a technologically advanced light show and the music should reflect that.

I choose more up beat songs. With the exception of a couple of them, I know that I couldn't sit though a show that was all slow. The more up beat the more the lights flash keeping peoples interest. I like to choose more songs I think people haven't heard. This way they stick around and listen to them.

I also tend to use more upbeat songs. I think it makes for better sequencing and more anamation. A couple seasons ago my theme was old western movie soundtracks. These songs were fun to sequence with all the little bits going on with them. I think I only have 3 traditional Christmas songs in my lineup. Have a look.........http://www.youtube.com/user/Sparkylights/videos?view=0

Mike

I have a mix of well known Christmas songs, funny Christmas songs, pop songs, and some unknown ones. I think the Key is a good mix and good sequencing.. If the song is not well know but looks great sequenced you will get "Wow that was cool.. whats that song?" more than "why is he using that song?" (More of a curiosity thing rather than a questioning thing..)

Thanks for the replies everyone, and thanks for the kind comments on my sequencing.

This year I have 1 song that my audience will either love or hate, and 1 song that's specific to my area (Buffalo, NY).

I guess if someone doesn't like the songs, I'll point them towards LOR & they can make their own display! :P