Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding a second controller

jajohnson

Added a 2nd controller and have assigned an ID to both. The new controller works but is ID'd as "'Unknown Device"? I can access both controller on the HW Utility, but am not able to run a show using both controllers. Only1or the other will perform, depending on which one I select in the HW Utility after a network search. Any suggestions???

A little more info is needed, what model controller?, what level of software, i.e. basic, advanced, etc?, what assigned ID did you use?, what is the max ID level in the HU?

I am running XP.I have a basic license and am running v2.9.4. My initial controller that I have been using for 4 years is a LOR1602w http://store.lightorama.com/ba16chpa.html and my addition is a CTB16PC http://store.lightorama.com/reseadct.html. I bought the second controller several months ago, but just unboxed it yesterday, after building a waterproof enclosure to house both controllers. I tried several times to set the CTB as ID 02, because the older controller is still from the factory as 01, but was not able to get it to accept the function, so I named it 01 and the older model 02. I was able to access both controllers through HW, with the drop down box, but the CBT comes up as unknown device and the older controller has the new controllers model name, if "I am seeing this right. I set the Max ID to 4(41) to speed the search function as directed in the manual. Now when I run a show, the sequence is only run by one controller at a time, not in conjunction. If I have the CBT in the HW dropdown when I exit before I enable a show, that is the controller that runs and visaversa. Hope this gives youa better idea.

Based on what you said in your second post, your having problems setting the controller id to 2. Are you aware that only one controller can be connected at one time when setting the id?

Yes, after a couple of times trying, I did figure that out, after reading the instructions. I haven't tried again today. Lots of rain.

Does it matter which unit is ID 01 as long as the other is 02 and the nic is connected to 01 when trying to run a show? Another thing I wondered, is about the compatibility of the LOR1602w with the newer CBT unit? When I bought this one, I did not see any problem in the item description. I don't think it is a bad nic or RJ USB adapter because the HW sees 2 units but cannot ID one of the units by model #. I don't think there is an issue with any one controller, as both work as a standalone, they just do not seem to want to communicate.

They will work fine together, I have some of each. When in the HWU you can ONLY have one controller connected at a time to set the unit ID. Don't have the two daisy chained together. Set the ID for one then unplug it(cat 5) , plug in the other and set ID for it. On my 1602W's the ID can't be set with the HWU, you have to go in on the board and set the dials to the ID you want. Hope this helps.

Still not able to get the 2 controllers to work together. Each is id'd on HW srceen. HW utility shows found 2 units, 1 unknown deice which is depicting the new unit and the old unit is identified as the new units part# after a network scan. The old unit is named unit 2 and the new unit #1. Any help is badly needed. I am in emergency mode to be running by thanksgiving.

Lets go back to almost ground zero. What happens when you try each one by its self. Just one controller at a time with the network cable attached. What do you get for controller #1. And what did you get for Controller #2 when the cable it attached to it.

If I scan and connect to each controller separately, they work fine. Controller 1 is the new unit, but is id'd as (unknown device??) Contrller 2 is the older unit is id'd as the part number of the newer unit (CBT). When playing a show, only the controller that was last in the HW Utility window, is the conroller the displays the sequence.

When playing a show, only the controller that was last in the HW Utility window, is the controller the displays the sequence, when scanning both connected

I found this post a little while ago. Could this apply to me also?

Is the new controller a G3? I heard on another post about the G3's needing S3 to work correctly?. But I don't know for sure.

The board inside your new controller, is it green (gen. 2) or is it blue (gen. 3).

Have you contacted LOR yet ? Did you close the HWU before you run the show ? LOR can have only one thing running at a time , for the show to run correctly ( to my understanding ).

The light is green on the CBT unit

Yes HW was closed It won't allow the use of the port for 2 operations

I havent contacted LOR yet, just using the forum

Is the new controller a G3? I heard on another post about the G3's needing S3 to work correctly?. But I don't know for sure.

A G3 controller will work just fine with S2 software.

You won't be able to adjust the custom dimming curves with the S2 software, and it may show as "Unknown Device" in the Hardware Utility. The actual running of the show, no issues.