Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel on with no show running

djsk0tt

I came home tonight to find channel 6 on powering lights, I don't even have show scheduled yet, I ran a test on demand show yesterday while setting up what i could, making sure audio was transmitting right, and to see if anything weird happened. Nothing strange occurred I only have 8 of 16 channels connected. Any idea why these lights were on? I had to use the hardware utility to turn off the lights. Anyone else run in to this?

@djsk0tt and @IdahoLights - Sounds like in both cases a triac on the controller has gone bad, and will need to be replaced.

Except he said that he was able to turn the lights off with the HW utility. Wouldn't the bad triac cause it to be on all the time? That's how mine behaved anyway. Stuck at 50%. New triacs on the way from LOR.

well I ran a show, Channel 6 and 16 stick during the sequences sometimes they will go off but most of the time they are on, , I have a santa from Wow Lights and Channel 2 and 3 and the mouth, and they tend go on and off when the shouldnt, now the HW manager wont shut the stuck channels down, Channels 1 6 and 16 are sticking. Over time the lights will go off on their own it seems, So Im thinking i got a defective unit :( super sad face, I tested the unit before I set everything up and it ran well. no hiccups. man. im soo bummed out. Not a good first impression. Guess I will be calling WowLights tomrrow. Im gonna rule out computer and try my laptop vs my desktop but im leaning on bad unit.

*edit*

laptop yeilds same results. anyone else have this happen before?

Edited by djsk0tt

There are a lot of things that could cause these types of symptoms. There was an issue with a bad batch of controller TRIACs a while back. But beyond that a bad TRIAC was fairly rare on the forums. To have 4 bad on one unit would probably mean you’re overloading them (not likely).

Are the lights on these channels LEDs? If so you might want to try temporarily plugging a string of incandescents in their place. If that works there might be an easy fix.

You might want to run LOR’s Verifier program. If you have your channel config messed up, strange things will happen. If you don’t shut down lights at the end of the show the lights will stay in that state indefinitely after the show ends.

You could have a bad CAT5 cable / connection. Or it could be the controller...

I had a typo as to what channels are sticking

So 1, 4, 6, 15 and sticking.

So here is my setup

1 Wow Lights Santa Outline at most 100 lights

2 Wow Lights Santa Stache 1 20 lights

3 Wow Lights Santa Stache 2 20 lights

4 Roof outline 600 LED c5

5. Garage Outline 100 LED c9

6. Walkway - 6 Candy Canes 150 Lights & 450 LED outline

7. Windows - 100 LED

8. Snowflakes - 150 Lights

9. Candy Cane - 25 Lights

10. Candy Cane - 25 Lights

11. Candy Cane - 25 Lights

12. Candy Cane - 25 Lights

13. Candy Cane - 25 Lights

14.Candy Cane - 25 Lights

15. Red Net - 600 Lights

16. Col - 150 LED

I do have the check to turn off lights when not used.

I will try verifier, I am getting wierd things with the Wowlight squences that came with the package and ones that ive tweaked ive set channel 3 to its own line with all OFF and its still comming on when it shouldnt.

Cat5 is what was sent with the kit and i ran a test before I setup with all the lights connected and ran several wow light sequences and it was working fine.

Edited by djsk0tt

Verfier gave me warnings that a channel was off in my sequences , which was right channel 3 should be off on most of the sequences as i programed.

Yeah, that's normal. I set it to ignore those. This means the channel setup in the sequences should be clean. And since you set the show to turn off the lights, that should minimally prevent lights from being on afterwards.

Maybe it's noise, do you have any fluorescent lights connected on (or near) the controller by chance?

Don’t let me stop you from contacting wowlights. I was just hoping that it’s something else that could be fixed w/o sending the unit back.

One other thing you could try is doing a reset on the controller. The instructions on how to do that should be in the manual for your specific controller.

http://www.lightorama.com/Documentation.html