Light-O-Rama Forums

Light hanging tips

PelicanBay

Hi Everybody, thanks in advance for your help. I have hung lights for many years now and I am still hanging them the same way I did twenty years ago. Does any one have any tips or tricks on how they hang their lights? Specifically rope lights along the edge of a roof line. Also, multiple sets of rope lights hung together i.e. Red / White and Blue. Three different rope lights put side by side. Has anyone ever tried the rope light track? I'm hoping someone out there has some great suggestions so I can reduce the amount of time it takes me to hang lights.

Thank you!

I made 1" PVC frames for all my windows, door and garage and zip tied all three colors, red/green/white to the frame itself. Hang the frames, wire and done. Easy up and take down.

For multiple colors of lights I get a drill and bend a hanger to hold the end of the lights. Then I have the boy hold the other end. I start the drill and twist them together.

Electrical tape for lights

hooks on the house to hang the lights

I hang them from the ground with a painters pole with a barbecue fork duct taped to it.

I'm hoping someone out there has some great suggestions so I can reduce the amount of time it takes me to hang lights.

Thank you!

Yes, 3 step process -

1, Stage all your lights outside, ready to go.

2. Wait until Sunday afternoon and crack a cold frosty one (this is football season)

3. Tell your wife there is work for her to do in the front yard

(have good lawyer on speed dial, just in case)

• Like 1

I am a big fan of stringing lights in bundles or modules. I have four colors in every section of lights and I string each color and then use one-wrap velcro to hold them all together. I use cup holder hooks screwed into the wood trim of the house that I hang the lights on. When I hang them up, I am hanging all four color strings at once. Each light string is labeled and each extension cord is labeled for the light string it is to be plugged in to and the male end of the extension cord is labeled to what controller and circuit it gets pluggged into. All my extension cords are bundled together using velcro in groups according to the controller and light string they plug in to. So instead of running 16 cords to/from lights and controllers, I run one bundle of 16 cords. All my extension cords are cut to length using SPT1 wire and plugs.

Velcro may be more expensive to start with, but if I have to replace a string of lights, I undo the velcro, replace the light string, and reuse the same piece of velcro. On the extension cords, I write directly on the velcro with a permanent marker a number telling what extension cord bundle it is. If I have a problem with an extension cord, I know what bundle number to go to to diagnose and/or fix the problem.

...I hang them from the ground with a painters pole with a barbecue fork duct taped to it.

Same, but I use a modified paint roller (the smaller one). It screws onto the pole and the metal paint roller can lift a lot of weight.