Light-O-Rama Forums

Mounting professional controllers outside

craigsrobotics

Wondering what most people do to mount their controllers outside. I was thinking of mounting them in one of those outdoor weatherproof rubbermaid utility closets. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply. i guess im more worried about theft and crud getting all over them....my only concern is if i mount them in an enclosed cabinet, will i run the risk of heat buildup?....

Guest Don Gillespie

Nope there won't be any heat build up, I am like Tim I mount them where they are convenient so I don't have to run as many extension cords, pretty much a given that the only people who would even know what a controller is would be a fellow light enthusiast, the people that come to watch your show will only look at it and think man that is a lot of electrical stuff there.

• Like 1

Get some heavy cable and padlock them to a nearby fixed object like a tree - that's what I do.

The fear of controller theft is completely blown out of proportion (especially by new users) to the reality of how many controllers get stolen (I know of a single case) in the decade I've been using LOR)

-Tim

I have only heard of one case of theft of a controller but that was one member not returning a borrowed controller. Like the others I put a 4' wood stick 2' into the ground and screw the box to it. Some people padlock them shut but I just screw them shut and call it good.

Edited by LightsinMaine

craigsrobotics,

You ask about heat being a problem. yet you dont let us know where on earth you are. Please note that many of us have gone into our profiles and given some form of answer. You can just say what state, some give a local well known city and some might even go so far as to give actual city. Me, I would not given you an answer without knowing where you lived. I think SoCa stays fairly warm/hot even in winter. Where as Minot MI is damn cold in the winter. One member in the past year or two shared some photos of his weather proof ABS garden shed. Real nice with plywood walls and a work light so if he had to work out there in the night he could see easily. And he could move it around with just a two wheeler. But I bet he had a lot of money tied up with extension cords. I am with the majority, will mount my controllers out near the display items. But some prefer the all in one location.

I have only heard of one case of theft of a controller but that was one member not returning a borrowed controller. Like the others I put a 4' wood stick 2' into the ground and screw the box to it. Some people padlock them shut but I just screw them shut and call it good.

I padlock all my controllers. Partly to make them harder to steal, but, also to make it hard to get the cover off. Someone could get a nasty shock poking around inside a controller.

Just my .02.

Jerry

Max-Paul, I was referring to the units overheating if there is no air flow, or lack thereof...I'm in good ol' Louisiana..thanks for the replies and suggestions.

No need for a padlock. If someone just happens to be carrying a Philips screwdriver, opens the box and sticks their finger in there, then so be it. B)

• Like 2

As a retired police officer, the best piece of advise I can give you is simply try simply try to secure it by making it difficult to take. If someone wants it bad enough, they are going to take it or try to take it one way or the other. And most likely if you have secured it and they don't get it, by this time the controller will most likely have been destroyed from them trying to remove it with a pry bar or other tool. Like you have probably seen those that are worried, have installed them in their garages or sheds and run extension cords while other take the risk and put them closer to the display pieces. You are the one that knows your area of the community best and can judge from prior experiences in your neighborhood, just use caution. Christmas comes but once a year, enjoy the gift of giving to the community with your display.

No need for a padlock. If someone just happens to be carrying a Philips screwdriver, opens the box and sticks their finger in there, then so be it. B)

If I were to be sued because someone broke into a controller and got shocked. (Hopefully just a shock and nothing more. My controllers are all connected to GFI outlets) I could show that I took reasonable care to protect the public. He/she was on my property without permission, and had to remove two screws and a padlock to gain access. I'm not saying I have a winning argument, but I think it helps my case.

I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong...

Jerry