Light-O-Rama Forums

copy music from cd?

rhino

How does one copy music from a cd to the computer's hard drive?

I have Windows Media Player v12.0.

Sorry for the "stupid question", but can't figure this out.

I'm getting the following error when I click on "Rip CD":

Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted.

I have a Manheim Steamroller disk in the CD drive now.

I use a program called Musicmatch Jukebox.

Thanks! I recall having something like that on my XP machine. Just "upgraded" to Win7, and don't see it on here. Will track that option down...

I use a program called Musicmatch Jukebox.

Again, thanks for your post. However, I'm not seeing that Musicmatch Jukebox is supported for Windows 7 OS. Are my findings correct?

I have a similar problem with Itunes after I download something... try to upload it to my ipod... can't find file. Makes me so made. Dont want to call my kid in college to say "son...um...." I joke with him though and say "when I was your age our phones had cords!" heck...we had walkmans back then....

try opening you dialog box for the CD drive double click the CD name so it will play it should open your media player then click the file tab and see if it will rip it then

Edited by djg64

try opening you dialog box for the CD drive double click the CD name so it will play it should open your media player then click the file tab and see if it will rip it then

Thanks! Working this now...

I'm getting the same error. CD is playing just fine, but cannot rip it. Error Message:

Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted.

Worked this issue over the night (all-nighter), to no avail. Even got Dell support on the line since this is software that came pre-packaged with the "new" machine. After close to 2 hours, they were unable to repair the issue.

I go to the Library area, click on Organize > Manage Libraries > Music, and nothing happens.

Proceeded with the instructions I found online about removing the library database and having it re-create. Didn't work

Proceeded with the instructions I found online about re-installing Windows Media Player on the Windows 7 platform. Didn't work.

So, without resolution, I'm thinking of simply purchasing the songs from amazon, and then using those.

Is there a way to get .wav format from amazon?

TIA!

LOR software will use MP3 format

Thank you! I heard/read/dreamt someplace that .wav format provides better results. Do you find this to be true? Any issues with running .mp3?

LOR software will use MP3 format

Half true. LOR will also play wav files. And I believe wav files are constant bit rate by nature. MP3 files can be both constant and variable bit rate. Variable bit rate is a bad thing. As you sequence and then come back you might find what was perfectly timed before is now skewed and not in sync. Convert all variable bit rate to constant bit rate.

I believe you are going to need to find a CD ripping program to be able to save the file from the CD to the HD. It appears that window media is not the answer. Never has been to my knowledge.

Half true. LOR will also play wav files. And I believe wav files are constant bit rate by nature. MP3 files can be both constant and variable bit rate. Variable bit rate is a bad thing. As you sequence and then come back you might find what was perfectly timed before is now skewed and not in sync. Convert all variable bit rate to constant bit rate.

I believe you are going to need to find a CD ripping program to be able to save the file from the CD to the HD. It appears that window media is not the answer. Never has been to my knowledge.

Thanks for this! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

(I love this site!)