Light-O-Rama Forums

need help with mini director

jasonbeaty

can someone dumb this down for me how do i wire a 9 volt plug to my director to plug into my timer to get it to come on by it self to run my show when im not at home or can i put one of my controllers on the timer then plug my director in to that controller

The director gets its power from the controllers through the cat5 cable. To stop that from happening, you need a timer on all your controllers, because as long as any controller is powered, the director will be powered.

The director gets its power from the controllers through the cat5 cable. To stop that from happening, you need a timer on all your controllers, because as long as any controller is powered, the director will be powered.

Yes, but that is not what jasonbeaty asked. You can hook up a power supply directly to the mini-director so you can power it on its own (and disables it from receiving power from the controllers).

Here is how you do what he asked:

See page 10 or the manual here:

http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/mDM-MP3_Man_Web.pdf

• Open the mini-director (4-screws) and remove the small plastic jumper shown in the photo on page 11 in the above manual, and then close the mini-director back up.
  • Take a power adapter (9 volts DC and at least 50 milliamps--you may have one laying around the house from an old phone or similar electronic device), and cut off the small plug at the end, so you have 2 bare wires instead.
  • Take the positive wire from the 9 volt DC power supply and connect it to pin 6 of the terminal block on the rear of the mini-director.
  • Take the negative wire from the 9 volt DC power supply and connect it to pin 4 of the terminal block on the rear of the mini-director.
  • Plug in the power supply and be sure the Status LED on the miniDirector blinks, if it does not, the positive and negative are probably swapped. Try swapping the power supply leads. If the Status LED blinks, power supply is properly connected. Once the power supply is properly connected, you can safely attach the cat5 cable to your controller.
  • Once you know it is working properly, I looped the power adapter cable back against the mini-director and taped it to the top of the device to prevent strain on the wire connection at the terminal block.

The mini-director can now be plugged directly into a timer to control your show. I suggest using a digital timer (ideally 7-day programmable, if you want to do different ending times on the weekends) so you can accurately set a start/stop time (compared to the estimated time on a rotary timer). The mini-director takes about 3-4 seconds for it to start playing once it receives power.

thank you guys for helping me out :) with three boys (8,6,4) and a hundred different remote control cars i should have a 9 volt plug. :D Surfing4Dough you dumbed it down just right 4 me :unsure:

• 2 years later...

Will the lights all stay on when the mini director is powered off? I would like for all of my lights to be on and occasionally go through the show cycle. Is this the purpose of wiring the mini director?

Thanks.

lypsonj@aol.com

Lor makes a "special cable" that u can run from the director to the first controller and regular cables from controller 1-2and so on and only put the first controller on a timer. The "special cable" makes it to where the power can't be transferred back through.