Light-O-Rama Forums

Do I have enough power?

gtoyeah

Ok hear me out. I have two outlets that were installed into my garage this year coming directly from the house pannel. The two outlets are 20 amps EACH. If im using 100% LED and I test all the lights that will be plugged into the channels finding out I wont be using anything close to it. Can I just add one 1to2 plug and plug both sides of my LOR box into it?

I tried to draw a picture with "paint"

post-8318-0-09304200-1352579404_thumb.pn

My 100 count LED strings use 0.33 amps. Doing the math 20 amps per circuit / 0.33 Amos per string = about 60 LED strings per circuit. Check your brand of LEDs to be sure you get the right number for your setup. As Mr Burge stated you can hook up a ton of lights. One thing to be careful of is each LOR channel can only handle 2 amps and each 8 channel side of the controller can only handle 15 amos (assuming you purchased the 30 amp controllers). Do the same math for each circuit. Your total could be fine, but you can blow a fuse in our controller if you aren't careful.

I am running 5 controllers on one 20 AMP circuit. I only have one power cord running to four controlles mounted in one box. The lights I am using are 4.8 watts per 100 light string. 20 amps X 120 Volts = 2400 Watts / 4.8 wats per string = 500 100 count light strings or 50 strings on one 2 amp channel.

For me that is the advantage of using LEDs. No power issues. If I move no electrical work would have to be done to still have my lights.

T17443,

What brand of LEDs are you using? 0.33 amps per string seems high for LEDs

Apologies, had an error in my post above. Current usage per 100 count LED string is 0.035 amps, not 0.3 amps. What is a zero among friends. It was too early on a Sunday morning. All above are correct, you should have no power concerns using LEDs.