Light-O-Rama Forums

Milled Hook Head

rainyoregonchristmas

Yea, it's as cool as it sounds. I finally had some time to do some work on the hook head of my dreams. I debated about welding up a hook head or re-purposing something but decided to go for it and just mill one out of my imagination. I milled it out of a solid billet of 6061 aluminum. It's 4" across and 2" tall. The ID of the center hole is 1.570" and the surrounding 16 holes are .250"

Over kill, YES, but I like it. I needed something besides the lights to shine in my display. It will be the perfect crown (Besides the star) to my mega tree. If you remember my previous posts about my mega tree pole I revised that too. It is now a five piece pole for easier installation. I used 1.5" pipe, with a 1.250 sleeve TIG welded to one end of each piece. I realized it would be too hard to store a 15 foot pipe in the off season.

-RainyOregonChristmas

https://skydrive.liv...AEX96MYIRDNMIrY

very nice job. I presume you have an indexing chuck (not real sure of its name). Now got to ask what are those two wings with the hole in them? I would suggest if this is not on your blue print. That you make another sleeve that is about a foot lower and is attached with rods to help guide the hook head. Want to keep the hook head from cocking and binding on the pole. I have one of the hook heads from CLS and even with the guide sleeve it can bind a little at the joint between the two pipes.

But I regress, fine looking hook head and nothing like rolling your own. Well done sir, well done.

Actually, I did not have an indexing head, I used a Bridgeport Vertical Mill with an Easy Trak CNC controller. It's nice because it uses conversational programming which is easier for one off parts. That allowed me to interpolate the center bore, mill the bolt hole pattern and mill the two arcs on each side of my mounting points.

As far as the design, the two blocks on top of the part are to be my mounting points. Looking at it as a finished part the next day, yea I'd make some changes. I'd probably eliminate those blocks and mill some holes in the thick center wall adjacent to the 1.570 bore and add two 3/8 inch eye bolts. I'd really like to see this part in green anodize, maybe some day.

• The topic was locked