Light-O-Rama Forums

20 amp fuses?

Brad Ford

I saw on richard holdmans site where he uses 20 amp fuses in his controllers instead of 15 amp. Does this make the controller 40 amp total? Or is this not a good idea and why? I'm needing to get as much power as I can out of a couple of my controllers.....

The boards can handle 20 amps per side, but the incoming power cord is only rated for 15 amps. So in addition to replacing the fuse you also need to upgrade to a 20 amp cord.

Don't forget the triacs are only rated for 8 amps per channel with the high power heatsinks.

Scott

I think LOR only carries the 15 amp. You can pick them up locally, HD, Lowes, ect.

You might have to buy a 20 amp extension cord and cut the female end off.

All mine are hard wired with #12 wire so I didn't have to hunt down the cords.

Scott

• 5 weeks later...

I think LOR only carries the 15 amp. You can pick them up locally, HD, Lowes, ect.

You might have to buy a 20 amp extension cord and cut the female end off.

All mine are hard wired with #12 wire so I didn't have to hunt down the cords.

Scott

Did you hardwire them with Romex? Or any solid wire? If so how did you make the connection?

Mine is a little different than most since it is permanent.

I hardwired using #14 Neutral and #16 Hot to separated 115 volt outlets mounted on gutter boxes.

Then SPT-1 cord goes outside to the displays. The other half of the controllers are mounted in custom enclosures that hold 4 controllers each and run straight to the display elements.