So who else is happy with their plain ol' incandescents?

Just thought I'd see who else is happy with their incandescent lights?

I thought I wanted to go RGB strip this year and even bought ~20-25 RGB strips, 3 DC controllers, DC power supplies, etc early this year but after some soul searching I'm pretty happy with how my display is now. This is our fifth year with the current setup and I like that I *know* it inside and out. Setup, maintenance, and tear down all go pretty smooth and it's nice to be at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't had the exact same display every year but with the shed full of new incandescent lights I just can't see moving over to RGB LEDs anytime soon.

So anybody else feel this way or am I just getting old? :)

BTW, I ended up selling almost all the RGB stuff we bought to this guy...

Looks even better in person and everyone that visits his store loves it. :)

I don't mind the look of incandescents. What I don't like is the maintenance, the dead bulbs, the sections going out, bulbs breaking, color flaking/burning off, bulbs shattering, etc. etc. And the fact that they're nearly impossible to find in solid colors anymore, at least for a decent price.

I don't mind the look of incandescents. What I don't like is the maintenance, the dead bulbs, the sections going out, bulbs breaking, color flaking/burning off, bulbs shattering, etc. etc. And the fact that they're nearly impossible to find in solid colors anymore, at least for a decent price.

I hear you regarding cost. My first year I bought almost all our lights at 75%-90% off. The next year I bought more at 50%-75% off and I was still very happy. Two years ago there were basically NO extra lights at clearance time. Then last year after our local Lowes was almost *completely* out of Christmas stuff I happened to walk in when they got a pallet full of lights. :D Needless to say the manager was happy that I bought all the incandescent lights they had for 75% off. :) But without this stroke of luck, I'd be down to probably less than 10,000 extra lights out back in the shed and like you said the current selection and pricing is nothing like 5 years ago.

Maintenance is something I guess I've just come to expect. When our lights are live, I'd say I'm out fixing strands two, maybe three evenings a week. I try to stay ahead of it. I'm not out there for hours or anything just 15-30 minutes doing the basics.

My number 1 issue with incandescent is the colors fading so danged fast... Who wants to rewrap a mini tree every year because the blue is only half as vivid by the end of one season?

My number 1 issue with incandescent is the colors fading so danged fast... Who wants to rewrap a mini tree every year because the blue is only half as vivid by the end of one season?

I don't use blue in my display for that very reason.

D.T.

I like the style of incans.. but with pixels.. you just can't beat the flexibility with them.. now granted they have there place.. its just another weapon to surprise viewers. My display is 90% led 5% pixel and 5% or so incan. The incans are only clear though.

My only issue is with the power company, hate paying any more for electricity than I have to. With Incans my Christmas light bill went up $250, with LED's only $70. Plus I have an older house so until I replace the power panel coming in I am close to maxing what I can do. LED's allow me to add more lights.

• 2 weeks later...

LEDs for me as well. No RGB stuff, just don't want to fool with that nightmare just yet. I still have quite a few incans, my Coro Arches are clear incans{but I do want to change them to LED eventually}, clear incans on my wire frame deer and a few small items that are clear incan, along with the Blowmolds that are household lamp bulbs or C7 incans, all the LED bulbs I have tried and tested in my BM's just did not cut it for light output in illumination a blowmold character or item, so they got returned.

I guess I take the middle road. I may be a LOR newbie but I've been hanging Christmas lights since I was old enough to know what one was. 2 years ago I spent entire days fixing incan lights. This year I have spent 0 hours fixing my LED lights for my display. The old incan lights I have get used for the static display off to the side, as they die I'll give them a few clicks with the light keeper but I won't spend much time fixing them.

I decided that a few Comic Color devices will be in my future but it won't dominate my display. IMO it takes the look away from Christmas lights to a regular commercial display. Not saying any RGB dominated displays are bad, at this point I'm just not going to do it myself.

I'm old fashioned with my display as well. When Greg at Seasonal Entertainment had a sale on their LED lights I bought about 48 sets of them for my new Mega Tree in this year's display. However, since the Mega Tree got dropped I'm going to try them for other things in the display. Last year I had about 7,000 lights, this year it is going to be about the same with about 10% LED.

The thing with LED is that they are so expensive. I was in Meijer the other day looking for blue & red incandescents (they are the only local store that has them), and they were having a sale on them for 100 count for $1.99/box. Whereas they were selling 100 count multi-color for $11.99/box. I'm hoping to convert more of my display for 2013 to LED but it is going to depend on the cost.