Jump to content

Programming 100+ Channels


Guest guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest guest

(From Harbs wrote:

I had 40 channels last year and up to 72 so far.

I can not even think of programming 176 channels.

How do you see all the channels on the sequence editor?

Must be a lot of scrolling up and down to find the channels.

Harbs

[i wanted this topic to have it's own thread, so I started a new one.]

Yes, there is a lot of scrolling involved in sequencing this type of display. However, there are a few things that you can do to make it easier to manage the process.

The two more popular methods (based on my reading) are grouping by color and by object. I personally group by object, meaning that my mini-trees are next to each other, my large trees are next to each other, and the roof is grouped together.

Others will group by color. For example they might put their red trees in one section, followed by their green trees.

It's really just a matter of laying out the screen in a manner that works for you.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

One thing I like to do is flip one of my displays into portrait mode. That way I can see ~20% more channels per screen. Should I want to see more of the time axis, I just drag the sequence editor to a landscape-oriented display.

Before anyone asks: 4. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

A multi-monitor display is one way...

I use a single very large monitor. Mine is a 30" with a resolution of 2560x1600. This allows me to see over 100 channels on the screen at one time. And since it is widescreen, I can see a pretty long time slice as well.

And I group by objects. I tried several different combinations, but objects seems to work the best. I sequence an object or goup of objects for the entire song. Then I go back and sequence the next object or group of objects, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Don wrote:

I personally group by object, meaning that my mini-trees are next to each other, my large trees are next to each other, and the roof is grouped together.



I too group by object. Trees grouped together, windows grouped together, pillars grouped together, roof grouped together. I feel it makes it much easier to choose what colors I want to use in those particular groups at any given time. Also, when it comes to chasing the items in each group, it helps me out there as well (which is probably the bigger reason).

Just my thoughts,

Tom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

VetteMan wrote:



A multi-monitor display is one way...

I use a single very large monitor. Mine is a 30" with a resolution of 2560x1600. This allows me to see over 100 channels on the screen at one time. And since it is widescreen, I can see a pretty long time slice as well.

And I group by objects. I tried several different combinations, but objects seems to work the best. I sequence an object or goup of objects for the entire song. Then I go back and sequence the next object or group of objects, etc.

Good idea, i suppose you can accomplish the same thing by adjusting the resolution on the smaller monitor screens too, I'll have to try it. Because it is tough when having lot of channels
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

I group by object also. What I found that helped me was I took a picture of my moniter display printed it out and labeled all my display items by their channel number. So I can just look over and know my minis start at 7.2 and end at 7.13, my mega tree starts blue at 4.14 thru 5.9 and so on.

RJ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

RJTexas wrote:

I group by object also. What I found that helped me was I took a picture of my moniter display printed it out and labeled all my display items by their channel number. So I can just look over and know my minis start at 7.2 and end at 7.13, my mega tree starts blue at 4.14 thru 5.9 and so on.

RJ


Do yourself a favor and use Alt+Print Screen and then paste into Word or something and print that. It will be a lot more legible. :)

I can't believe there was never a "Print Channel Config" function in the S/W. I hope LOR-II has it!

There are also a few other things that would be nice to be able to print out just to have handy.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

When you group by object or color, do you have a row that seperates each set or just have them lined up next to each other?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

RJTexas wrote:

So I can just look over and know my minis start at 7.2 and end at 7.13, my mega tree starts blue at 4.14 thru 5.9 and so on.

RJ



I label each channel in the "channel config" to what they actually are (to include item/location description, controller number and channel number) so there is no guessing and no need for a reference. Keeping it simple yet effective works best for me.

Just my input,

Tom

Edit: wording
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

ChuckHutchings wrote:

I can't believe there was never a "Print Channel Config" function in the S/W. I hope LOR-II has it!




I just wrote a channel config report utility. You just open an LCC file with it and it extracts all of the channels descriptions. You can then add notes, etc. and print it.

PM me should you want it. It's a single EXE file which I can ZIP and email to you.

Edit: I made a few changes and improvements.






Attached files 137521=8140-LOR.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Brian Mitchell wrote:

I think you are about to have a lot of takers on that!

Nice


I'd love it. I'll send a PM


You would be correct.

I THINK I emailed it to everyone that requested it. Check your PM's. If I missed anyone, PM me again. (Some of your email addresses kicked it back at me.)

I'll post a link to it on my website tomorrow once I clean it up a little. That should make it easier for everyone.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Dude...that is awesome! I can't believe that LOR or someone really smart (not saying you aren't) didn't think of that before you! I'll wait until tomorrow...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

lkcubsrule wrote:

Dude...that is awesome! I can't believe that LOR or someone really smart (not saying you aren't) didn't think of that before you! I'll wait until tomorrow...



Well, it has it's limitations. I haven't bothered to totally decode the LOR file structure since it does what I want as is. (LCC's with over 256 channels probably won't work on it - I'll need another 30 mins to figure that out but I don't have more than 256 channels so I don't care.)

Of course, it does beg the question: If it only took me an hour or so to do it without any knowledge of the LOR file system, why didn't anyone else do it before I did?

You guys are slackers! :)


Edit: I don't want to hijack the LOR forum into a discussion on this so I'll post a message in the "Toot Your Own Horn" forum when I have the utility finished and the download link ready on my web site.

Anyone interested may feel free to PM me or check my web site until then.


Attached files 137554=8142-LOR.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...