Light-O-Rama Forums

12mm RGB pixels ?

jer75

Hi all ,

having struggled through this year I'm setting up my christmas display basically the same as last year but I'm looking towards next year with the plan of

adding some 12v RGB pixels + controllers. After much reading on here and Facebook I'm kinda lost as to which RGB pixel to look at buying , I've seen on here some

listed as WS2801 but when I had a browse through Ray-Wu 's website shop there seem to be a large variation on the codes.

Does this make a difference to what they can do I was looking for this type :

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/led-pixel-module-WS2801-DC12V-input-IP68-100pcs-a-string-IP68/701799_529753561.html

As what I had planned has a limited depth but I dont understand what all the different chip codes are for , If the ones I've listed would work whats the most I could use per channel ?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I cant get my head around this part of it , Any help gratefully appreciated

Cheers

Jerry

Here is a breif comparison

6803 - 5 bit dimming, 32 dimming steps per colour for a total of 32768 colours. Constant current control

2801 - 8 bit dimming, 256 dimming steps per colour for a total of 16777216 colours. Constant current control

2811 - 8 bit dimming, 256 dimming steps per colour for a total of 16777216 colours. Constant current control

1804 - 8 bit dimming, 256 dimming steps per colour for a total of 16777216 colours. Constant Voltage control

3001 - 12 bit dimming, 4096 dimming steps per colour for a total of 68719476736. Constant current control

They are the main ones used and supported. The 3001 will not actually give you 12bit dimming as the data signal is 8 bit but it can enable dimming curves. Constant current is a better form of control than constant voltage as LEDs are current devices and its the current that plays an important role in controlling the LEDs. Personally i prefer to now use the 2811 due to the low cost and the quality has been good as well.

Most types can be obtained in either 5vdc or 12vdc strings and the differences in the comparison can be found here

Many thanks edvas69 , that info was very helpful as is the link , I think I understand it all a bit better,

Basically short runs of Pixels I'd be better off with 5v DC and for longer runs of pixels I'd be better off with 12v Dc ,

• The topic was locked