Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP setting up controllers

Guest guest

I'm in dire need of some good help. I'm trying to get my first show going for the 4th of July. I have 2 controllers and I tested each indiviually when I got them and they tested ok. So I hooked them together, put out the lights and connected the controllers. I can't get the hardware utility to recognize 2 units, just the one Do I need to give the units their ID numbers before I hook them together? And when you view the Hardware Utility will it show 32 circuits if I have done it correct? All I see is 16. In the Select Unit To Configure Download Test box it always says unknown???.

I went back thru the user manual and went to the LOR page for help but it pretty much repeats the manual.

Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks

Dennis

Well, I'd go into the Hardware Utility and test each controller (make sure the lights go on...so you have it ID'd right) and then check to make sure your CAT5 / phone cables are in their correct spot...since there are 3 jacks, it sometimes messes you up. Make sure the CAT5 in is in the "INPUT" jacks and the CAT5 out is in the "OUTPUT" jacks. (Refer to any owner's manual for that)

EDIT: You need to make sure your boxes have there Unit IDs...you individually hook them up and set ther IDs through the Set Unit IDs (for the CTB-16 and a few other controllers, they have 2 dials on the card you must change for the ID)

Dennis,

First, you never mentioned what controllers you have. Are you using 16D? 16PC?

This would help. Also posting your questions about LOR (if that's what it is) in the LOR forum (not newbies) will help others determine what assistance you're needing.

Just my thoughts,

P.S. I might be able to help but not sure what you have.

Tom

Dennis,

If your using the 16PC, then I am pretty sure that you can't get the hardware utility to recongnize the 2 units. The hardware utility only reconginizes the individual controller, that you then asign an id number too. If you have assigned the two boxes correctly, then you should be fine. Hook up the boxes together, and go into the sequence editor. You can play your sequences and the lights will play along with the sequence. If that doesn't work, then something else is wrong. Try that first though.

Greg

Ponddude wrote:

Dennis,

If your using the 16PC, then I am pretty sure that you can't get the hardware utility to recongnize the 2 units. The hardware utility only reconginizes the individual controller, that you then asign an id number too. If you have assigned the two boxes correctly, then you should be fine. Hook up the boxes together, and go into the sequence editor. You can play your sequences and the lights will play along with the sequence. If that doesn't work, then something else is wrong. Try that first though.

Greg

After the board unit IDs are probably assigned in the hardware utility, it will detect the entire chain of 16PCs. But you must hook up each board individually to assign them IDs first.

nettnut:
Once you have the IDs setup for the boards correctly, the hardware utility will find both of them. The way the hardware utility works, you can only test one board at a time, so the hardware utility will always show you 16 channels regardless of the number of boards it finds. Just use the dropdown box to switch between boards. Both units should be listed under the "select a unit to configure." Finally, download the latest version of the hardware utility to correct the device unknown problem. Your device file is out of date. http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/HardwareUtility163.exe (Be sure to exit out of LOR apps before installing.) Select RUN, not save.