Using same controller number

MikeA

Yes, you CAN do what you're asking, but that path can be fraught with peril. My advice is to use the controller with it's own unique Unit ID number, add the second mega tree channels to your sequences and then simply copy/paste the mega tree sequencing.

• Like 1

Guest wbottomley

Yes, you CAN do what you're asking, but that path can be fraught with peril. My advice is to use the controller with it's own unique Unit ID number, add the second mega tree channels to your sequences and then simply copy/paste the mega tree sequencing.

Come on George... that would be too easy.

I agree with George - just assign them separate ID's and copy/paste them. In addition to some technical reasons which makes it better to do this, it gives you the flexibility to sometimes do different events on them. I mean you don't *always* want them doing the exact same thing, do you?

• 2 weeks later...

George Simmons, on 01 November 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

Yes, you CAN do what you're asking, but that path can be fraught with peril.

Just wondering if it wouldn't be helpful to explain a bit as to why... is it technical peril or logistical peril?

Ron.

Having two controllers with the same address will cause confusion (or problems) if you ever try to receive data from the units. They will both respond at the same time and talk over each other.

The most obvious problem is that using the Hardware Utility to scan for controllers will probably not work (at best you will only see one). And other features like trigger inputs and updating firmware would be a disaster.

BTW, “because George said so” is widely considered an acceptable justification in these parts ;)

Mike (OP) if you want the second MT to do the same thing as the first, can you save a controller and plug both trees into the same single controller? It would free up a controller (as a spare) or use it somewhere else.. 'course, if the MT's are too far apart, you'd prob spend more in extensions than another controller cost =)