Light-O-Rama Forums

Weather proof enclosures

craigecooper

Went the DIY route .. all is fine now thanks to some great advice on this forum ... one thing i never thought would be a big deal has me stumped. I am having trouble locating an outdoor enclosure close to the correct size and was wondering what you guys use? I plan on going to 32 from 16 next year and was thinking just buy one box big enough for both. Suggestions?

Went the DIY route .. all is fine now thanks to some great advice on this forum ... one thing i never thought would be a big deal has me stumped. I am having trouble locating an outdoor enclosure close to the correct size and was wondering what you guys use? I plan on going to 32 from 16 next year and was thinking just buy one box big enough for both. Suggestions?

http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/Enclosures_c19.htm

I purchased a couple used enclosures on ebay that will hold four controllers. There are only three mounted now.

DSCN1304.jpg

While the board fit in the CG-1000 nicely.. go with the CG-1500.. yes it's $3/more but there's room to fit a second board on the cover (making a 32ch box).

Hi everyone. I have a quick question. I just received my two CTB16PC Kits, and even got one soldered up already, but totally forgot about the high power heatsink when I ordered the kits. In your opinion, if I ordered two of the 1500's from Kevin's website, would I be ok just using the low power heat sinks that were included, or should I try to order the high powered ones. Thanks in advance.

tofer,

Please explain to me why you think the size of the encloser would have anything to do with weather or not you need the high power heat sink?

Weather or not if you can get by with the low power heat sink versus the high power heat sink depends on the loads you will have on the controller. Are you going to be drawing more than say 1 or 2 amps on any of the channels? If not, then the low power heat sinks will work. If your loads are going to be greater than 2 amps on any of the channels, then the high power heat sink is required to keep from burning up the triac.

I guess considering I am fairly new at this and did not know that the low power heat sinks were only good for 1-2 amps, I have no answer for you. But thank you for so graciously pointing that out.

I was figuring that due to the extra air space in a bigger enclosure, that the temperatures off of the triads would dissipate more seeing as how I am in Illinois and our temperatures in December usually never get above 40 degrees, keeping everything cooler.

Guess ill be taking your advice and ordering the high power heat sinks.

He's not necessarily suggesting you order the high power heat sinks. Rather, that you make the decision based upon how much power you plan to draw on any single channel.

Hate to see you buy something you don't need. That said, I'd hate even more to hear you burned up part (or all, for that matter) of your board because you overloaded one or more channels. At the end of the day, figure out how many amps you'll use per channel. If any one is higher than 2 amps, you want the higher power heat sinks.

Given your display needs will likely change in the future, I would spend a little extra and go with the high power sinks, so you are not limited should/when you decide to add to your display.

It's always easier to build for more, and use less, than the reverse...

Buy the heatsinks! You never know from year to year how many amps you're going to have through a channel.

LOR does not have the heatsink on the website to purchase as standalone, but you can call them and order them.

I appreciate the advice from you. I am going to give them a call this morning and get them ordered. I know the one controller as of now will not be over that because I am going to use it on my spiral tree, but the other one is up for grabs still as to what it is going to control. Thanks again.

Tofer,

in part you are correct about having more space to help dissipate the heat. But as it stands, your first concern is the power that will cross the triac. That alone dictates the need for either a low power heat sink or the high power heat sink. For example This is my 4th year and I have a 99.9% LED display. Only one 60W bulb for my blow mold Santa. I am thinking .5A is the most I draw on any channel. In order to mount my controller I bought some 2" aluminum angle iron. Drilled holes for the 8 triacs and two more to match the bosses in the GC1500 box for mounting. I suppose if I was not a DIY type of person I would then need to buy the LOR High power heat sink to help with mounting the controller. Or if I was us icans and drawing more current per channel.

I have mounted my boards in a driproof outdoor breaker box. I don't expect water to run through it but moisture will get in because the door has no gasket and I used romex style strain releifs for all my female pigtails. Anyone think this will be a problem?