DIY Lighted "Tune To" Yard Sign.

Arteom

Hello everyone!

So today I started making my "Tune To" Sign, I have had those visions right before drowsing off for quite sometime. Then I got this this idea and thought it would work.

I ordered a foam cutter, and cut stencils from cardboard. Cut the letters out on the foam using the stencil as guides and walla! This is what I got so far. There will be lights embedded in the foam, and the foam will disperse the light (hopefully)

Feel free to copy my idea and share pictures of yours!

"How To" pictures to come...

This here is 400pt Myriad Pro Font...

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

Edited by Arteom

Art,

Looks great!!

What is the total length of the words as you have them shown??

What is the thickness of the foam??

The thickness of the foam is 1" and length of the letters is around 50".

I ordered a foam cutter, and cut stencils from cardboard. Cut the letters out on the foam using the stencil as guides and walla! This is what I got so far. There will be lights embedded in the foam, and the foam will disperse the light (hopefully)

what type of foam cutter??

was it a hot wire ???

what type of foam cutter??

was it a hot wire ???

Yes! It works beautifully, cuts foam like butter & without those beads everywhere. Now obviously you don't have the same kind of control as with a knife, thus the need to make cardboard stencils, you need to keep the wire moving otherwise it will melt a hole...

A link if interested...

http://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Scenics-Wire-Foam-Cutter/dp/B0006KSMEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351730683&sr=8-1&keywords=hot+wire+foam+cutter

I wonder if a 9v battery and a piece of copper wire would do the same thing?

There is not enough resistance in the copper wire to heat up.

Use nichrome wire....it rather inexpensive, Michaels or Hobby Lobby carries it

There is not enough resistance in the copper wire to heat up.

Use nichrome wire....it rather inexpensive, Michaels or Hobby Lobby carries it

For the $30 It might be cheaper just to buy a unit rather than buying supplies to make a DIY unit.

Is this the insulation foam you get at Home Depot?

Brian

I wish I could tell you, I was driving and found a stack of it at a construction site, they were going to throw them away, asked the site's supervisor and he said take em if you want. I took home around 80 pieces... I came back the next day to get more and they already threw them away... :blink:

The insulation foam will work exactly the same, its all just foam. Make sure you get one without a paper or tin/foil backing, otherwize you won't be able to cut it with your foam cutter.

• 2 months later...