Light-O-Rama Forums

Copyrights Getting Out Of Hand?

JF1993

Today I went through a lot of trouble to edit my video for the Halloween contest. This took me a couple of hours just to edit and then another 3 hours to upload it to my facebook account. I figured that I would have it upload while I was at work today, but when I got home I found several persecuting messages on my account from facebook administrators saying that they had permanently removed my video from facebook, because of a "possible" copyright. The song on my video was the "Time Warp" from the "Rocky Horror Picture Show." I thought copyrights were automatically drooped after a product was out for 17 years. It seems as though that was true before 1994 when the feds went in and manipulated the laws to 50 years. I did a little research in how to get my video back up, and from what I've read if you try to dispute the video, the copyright holder will sue you for $150,000.00 per song and additional court costs.

A year ago I remembered the government also shut down several websites and even threatened websites like google, youtube, and facebook over copyrights. Personally I think there is a point when too much of a good thing turns out to be a bad thing. Yes, I think copyrights are a good thing and they should be enforced to those of us who try and sell pirated material, on the other hand what should happen to those of us like me who are NOT trying to make any form of potential profit from the media. I hate the fact that the government focuses their attention more on copyrights then they do on our economic policies or foreign policies. This is the point where the government is overstepping their boundaries.

Might I also add that Facebook demanded my phone number and mailing address to go with it. There is absolutely no negotiating between the copyright holders and the materials being disputed. Personally I think $150,000.00 is an awful lot for a song that would cost less then a dollar on itunes. I know youtube had several disputes between their corporation and copyright holders, and so they changed their copyright policies, but they never asked for a phone number or address when the dispute came up. I believe what is going on is more than wrong, and there is no means to banish my video just because a song is in it. If I were trying to make money off of it then I could see why they would want to sue me, but I'm not so the copyright laws are getting way out of hand, and now that they've gone this far who knows what else will happen in the near future. Who knows maybe we will eventually be paying fees to watch videos on youtube, or getting sued every time we post a picture with a concert poster in the background.

Do these same laws apply to non-profit musical Christmas light displays?

Next time start your description with this one liner:

DISCLAIMER: "I do not own the music and am using it under the "Fair Use" portion of the U.S. Copyright Law."

I have placed that on my display videos on Vimeo and so far have had no videos pulled using music in them. So you may want to try that and also use that when you DISPUTE the issue with Vimeo.

Yes I agree with orville use that message on all your videos and also on your web page in your video section if you have one

I did not have issues yet with them removing the audio or video

BTW: I also LINK my vidoes to my facebook page via an option to do that through Vimeo and have had no issues with FB removing anything.

Next time start your description with this one liner:

DISCLAIMER: "I do not own the music and am using it under the "Fair Use" portion of the U.S. Copyright Law."

Personally I like the Disclaimer statement....But is this fact or something you came up with? Cuz I'd like to use that if you wouldn't mind.

I forget where that disclaimer came from but I saw other non light videos on youtube using that disclaimer or one similar

Edited by TitusCarnathan

I forget where that disclaimer came from but I saw other non light videos on youtube using that disclaimer or one similar

Thanks.........Guess I'll just copyright that disclaimer from now on :P

Als long its uses for home use i dont onderstand the problem you can find any number on YouTube why not with a different setting ?

Orville,

Didn't you copyright that disclaimer??

NOPE!, not mine, nor do I lay claim to it. But it is a factual statement none the less.

Matter of fact I think it was first posted over on the "other" Christmas forum after all the hoopla of copyright came up last year.

And then IT WAS posted over here by someone initially, but not me. There is a fair use clause in the copyright legal mumbo jumbo, but finding it could prove difficult since it is "buried". And I'm pretty sure that was done on purpose too.

Been using it for a couple years now and I have yet to have any of my videos removed, deleted or any e-mails telling me to do any of that either. So I know it works!

The vid's I've seen get yanked are ones that did not post that little blurb under the video that got either completely removed or the audio track silenced in it.

• The topic was locked