Light-O-Rama Forums

Help me I am a Newbies

lisa

Hi there, Just join in LOR, this seems a lot of fun for people like me that are crazy about decorations and a lot of imaginations. My question is I am shopping for my first controller I do have a budget to follow is it good for me to start with the

ShowTime PC CTB16PC. Fully Assembled

ShowTime PC CTB16PC. Partially Assembled

Thank you

Lisa :)

Guest Don Gillespie

Hi there, Just join in LOR, this seems a lot of fun for people like me that are crazy about decorations and a lot of imaginations. My question is I am shopping for my first controller I do have a budget to follow is it good for me to start with the

ShowTime PC CTB16PC. Fully Assembled

ShowTime PC CTB16PC. Partially Assembled

Thank you

Lisa :)

Welcome aboard, only you can answer that question, are you good at wiring things for electricity? if the answer is no, then get the fully assembled, then all you have to do is sequence and not worry about wiring, however if you are good at wiring then get the partially assembled and put it together to save some cash, good luck to you.

It depends on your skill levels. This is not a plug and play hobby. Based on your post, I would say go with a fully assembled one. If you add more later, you can get the partials or the kit and use your first one as a reference. You're starting this really late to have a show for this year. Download the software now and start playing with it. Start reading the forums and manuals to get familiar of what's ahead.

Welcome and have fun!

You have 3 options with the ctb16pc

Fully Assembled --More expensive but less time consuming requires no assembly

Board Assembled kit---Cheaper but some assembly required the board is assembled but you have to attach the electricial plugs if you buy their kit w enclosure and dongles they are real easy to assemble the ends of the wires have quick connects that attach to the quick connects on the board but you should still have some basic electricial knowledge

and the regular ctb16 kit (note I believe this kit uses the old gen 2 board) cheapest but soldering of every component is required

as others have said it is a little late to jump on board for this year but it is not too late to jump on board for next year some people have a display on july 4th and other holidays durring the beginning of the year eg. easter I am not sure if anybody did a display for Canada Day but it could be something to consider

Welcome to the Addiction that becomes an obsession which becomes .......I am not sure whats after obsession

When I first started I did it like Jim advised - I got fully assembled. When I realized how easy it was to assemble I switched over. (I'm not talking about the kit that requires soldering everything - I'm referring to the assembled-board-and-you-put-it-all-together kit. If you can follow simple instructions with color pictures to refer to, well, it's something that even a Canadien can do... ;)

I agree it's late to be getting started, but if you've got 16 sets of lights, I say go for it! Have fun! Whatever you create, however modest it might be, will be more interesting than what was there last year, eh?

I agree it's late to be getting started, but if you've got 16 sets of lights, I say go for it! Have fun! Whatever you create, however modest it might be, will be more interesting than what was there last year, eh?

I agree - only 16 things to plug in and you can get a copy of a sequence or two from others - and maybe even try to do one yourself.

I also agree with another post to buy the assembled one for your first one.

Have fun whatever you decide to do!! Happy holidays!!