Light-O-Rama Forums

Wiring a LED rope light

benmilner

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the forum and this is my first show this Christmas. I'm planning on running an led rope light around each windows and door on the front of my house and running them as separate channels so looking for a reel of rope light to cut and add splices and power to my self. The cheapest supplier I can fine has the 3 wire multi function cable, obviously I just want solid for the display but the power supplies are more expensive for muti function then static. My question is if I buy the 3 core rope will I be able to use 2 core splices and power adapters with it.

I'm in the uk so running 240v if that makes a difference. Would also appreciate any links from people in the uk who have used rope lighting.

Thanks

My question is if I buy the 3 core rope will I be able to use 2 core splices and power adapters with it.

I don't think so. 2-core ropelight has a hot and neutral. 3-core will have 2 hots and a neutral. A 2-pin splice/adapter wouldn't power both of the hots, even if you want them to both be always on. And there's a good chance the 2 pins won't even line up properly with the pin arrangement on the 3-core to even hit 2 of the 3 pins.

Mingmingusa has been the cheapest I have found for led and is dimable. Like most led rope it is cuttable every 3'3"

Edited by LightsinMaine

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

What's your experience with the reliability of LED Rope lights. Bought a 150" roll of LED Rope Light last year from a reputable supplier, open the box plug it in and one section out. Because of the hassle to return it I decided to keep it. Work fine for the season. Took it out this season to check it and three (3) sections out. I am beginning to think that these expensive LED lights are not lasting as compared to the cheap throw away minis we have been using before.

I switch to all LEDs despite the cost because of the boast that they last longer but I am loosing too many.

Ron.

baja,

CDI brought out LED rope lights last year. Dont know if this the supplier your referring to. But Paul did offer to take back the LED Rope light due to an issue with improper spacing of the wires and pins. Also seems that there was a problem with sections that would go dark. I personally elected to keep my rope lights due to the closeness to lighting up. I have had some intermittent problems, but no show stoppers and usually I could clear it up by bending the rope in a different direction. So, no loss of material yet. Fingers crossed.. LOL