Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Setup

dc60815

Hello, This is my first time attempting to setup a LOR controller and Im having an issue. The controller lights up when I plug it into the electrical outlet but as soon as I plug my 45 cable to the USB converter the red light stops blinking. However, when I plug the converter with the 45 cable into my computer, the Christmas lights I have connected to the controller light up. The converter is brand new from an electronics store similar to this one http://tinyurl.com/8fapb9v . Am I using the wrong kind of converter or is something wrong with my controller? The RJ45 cable is brand new. Also, as soon as I open the LOR Hardware it gives the following message:

The serial port attached to LOR has a problem.

You may need to select another port.

Open of serial port 1 has failed.

Error 8002 invalid port number.

While: Executing port open property.

As stated above you need one from LOR. The Controllers ARE NOT Ethernet controlled, even though they use Cat5 cabling. Using an ethernet adapter can possibly damage your controller! LOR uses a different protocol.

Personally I'd get the USB485B adapter as it has 2 cat5 jacks on it and allows for further expansion with additions such as a Mini or DC-MP3 Showtime Director. The USB485B supplies extra power for accessories like the MP3 Directors, ELL's and other LOR Accessories. It may cost a little more, but it's worth the extra cost in the long run of it,

The USB485B can be found here: http://store.lightorama.com/uscoadwivobo.html

... It may cost a little more, but it's worth the extra cost in the long run of it

Don't mean to shock you Orv, but not everyone uses those devices. For those of us who don't use any/all of those, there's no purpose to spending more for the super USB485. If someone wants/needs a splitter in future years, LOR sells a repeater that does the job excellently.

• Like 1

Is this basically the same thing? Because I still need to purchase the license too. http://store.lightor...com/spk800.html

yes if you need a license but already have a controller then that is what you need. be aware that you need to buy the right level for the amout of controllers you have.or better yet just get the advance now
  • Like 1

Don't mean to shock you Orv, but not everyone uses those devices. For those of us who don't use any/all of those, there's no purpose to spending more for the super USB485. If someone wants/needs a splitter in future years, LOR sells a repeater that does the job excellently.

No shock to me George. I know about the repeater unit and have been considering investing in one of those one of these days, just in case I'd ever need one..

So far the USB485B has served me well enough for the past 3 years for my 5 controllers and DC-MP3 Showtime Director.

Edited by Orville

Don't know where to put this, but I just purchaced a new computer, so I want to move my LOR to it, I had my halloween lights on the old one and working, so I thought I could download LOR on the new one and it would work but I was wrong. I have it loaded, i can program, but when i want to run my seq. it will not work. Now the LED on the controler is blinking, so there is power, When i try to get a comm in the Hardware it will not work. The computer is very powerful, I also wanted it for games so it fast and lots of memory. I think the problem is with the comm port.

Does any one have an idea, Christmas is close

Don

Don't know where to put this, but I just purchaced a new computer, so I want to move my LOR to it

Did you install the license on the new computer? The demo version of the software will not control the lights.

If you've lost your license, you can have it emailed to you by using this link.

also did you remember to install your usb 485 drivers?

Edited by james campbell