Light-O-Rama Forums

Salveys Rockin Halloween

funkymzk

So everyone, let me tell ya about my year...

Started researching this stuff in early January and got my first singing face built around April. Purchased 4 lor residential controllers, 2 dc controllers and an entecc open dmx. Purchased bunches of lights and a butt load of rgb dumb strips.

Here's where it all goes south...

Wife decides it's time for a new house. Really? Now? I just got all this stuff designed for our ranch!

So I drop everthing and get the house ready for market, packing, yard sales, yadda yadda. So we sell our home in 3 weeks after it's put on the market. Buy another. Two story colonial. None of the stuff I had planned is going to pan out.

So we move into the new house in August and spend a couple weeks getting settled in.

My wife asks "Are you still doing something for Halloween?" I pretty much had hung up the whole notion of doing anything this year.

I stopped building props about April, hung up the software and figured "better luck next year."

Well, being the stubborn SOB I am, I decided to try pull something off. So worked all thru October on sequences and finished one more singing face. I ended up using 2 of my lor ac controllers and a bunch of incan halloween lights. So only 32 channels this year and 14 of those for my 2 faces. It's killing me having all these rgb strips and having to wait another year!

So today is the 26th and I finished everything last night at about 4:00am. All test's look ok. I did a trial run on Tuesday night and was pretty happy with it all.

So tonights my first live show. So far all the new neighbors have been really cool with it all.

Managed to sequence:

Thriller

Somebody's watching me

Ghostbusters

Disneys Hallowishes (from the fireworks show at walt disney world)

Started Flo Ridas "Good Feelings" and hope I can finish it by Wednesday.

I wish i had more songs but truth be told the disney song helps push it to about 28 minutes.

Going to try do some mad sequencing this weekend and fit in one more song or two:)

I also put my show pc in my basement office and ran a weatherproof ethernet jack outside for easy network acces to the lor controllers.

Last night I used windows remote desktop on my laptop to hit the show pc in the house so I can test all the lights from the console over wireless in my yard. Pretty handy!

So tonight I am going to record it and hopefully later tonight sync a good fidelity audio track under it in premiere then post to youtube

Keep your fingers crossed for me guys that frankenstorm "Sandy" stays the heck away from SW Virgina!

Would hate to have a hurricane ruin my first show ever!

Oh and mad props to you guys with the 1000's of lights and crazy numbers of channels. It took me 4 days to put in ethernet, mounting systems, power and speaker cable + controllers and lights. When the heck do you guys start decorating for Christmas? October? September? LOL

Glad I pulled something together. I'm seriously hooked now. Next year we're going to "light up the night!"

Video's soon!

Funkymzk

I know, I know... it was done, but my daughter had been begging me to do this, so I thought I'd share. Knocked this out the Friday before Halloween. All sequencing down by yours truly. Sorry for the so-so video. Time for a better camera! Hope you enjoy!

http://youtu.be/9Lml_KfWEdY

Here's a few close ups of my faces.

The big ones Jack (6x6) The smaller one is Esmeralda (4.5x4.5)

110V Incan Rope Light 3/8 - Pearl White - Action Lighting

jack.jpg

esmeralda.jpg

Next year I hope to do all 5 windows and my RGB's

Very nice. I never seem to have enough time. I would like to get another song sequenced for Halloween myself, only have 6 right now (every year I add more lights so always requires resequncing and hate doing all the same songs from previous years). Also, no work on Christmas yet, though have been yelling at myself I need to start though. As always it will be a last minute thing. If anyone has some they want to trade I have the following modified for this year to 4 singing faces, 2 two color arches and light towers, some home made rope light tombstones, yard display stuff and roof trim;

1.) Blow Me Away

2.) Boom Boom Pow

3.) Ghostbusters

4.) Monster Mash

5.) Someone's Watching Me

6.) Thriller - Glee version (Heads will roll I think).

My vids can be seen here if interested

sterns28@cox.net

Edited by sterns28

So everyone, let me tell ya about my year...

Started researching this stuff in early January and got my first singing face built around April. Purchased 4 lor residential controllers, 2 dc controllers and an entecc open dmx. Purchased bunches of lights and a butt load of rgb dumb strips.

Here's where it all goes south...

Wife decides it's time for a new house. Really? Now? I just got all this stuff designed for our ranch!

So I drop everthing and get the house ready for market, packing, yard sales, yadda yadda. So we sell our home in 3 weeks after it's put on the market. Buy another. Two story colonial. None of the stuff I had planned is going to pan out.

So we move into the new house in August and spend a couple weeks getting settled in.

My wife asks "Are you still doing something for Halloween?" I pretty much had hung up the whole notion of doing anything this year.

I stopped building props about April, hung up the software and figured "better luck next year."

Well, being the stubborn SOB I am, I decided to try pull something off. So worked all thru October on sequences and finished one more singing face. I ended up using 2 of my lor ac controllers and a bunch of incan halloween lights. So only 32 channels this year and 14 of those for my 2 faces. It's killing me having all these rgb strips and having to wait another year!

So today is the 26th and I finished everything last night at about 4:00am. All test's look ok. I did a trial run on Tuesday night and was pretty happy with it all.

So tonights my first live show. So far all the new neighbors have been really cool with it all.

Managed to sequence:

Thriller

Somebody's watching me

Ghostbusters

Disneys Hallowishes (from the fireworks show at walt disney world)

Started Flo Ridas "Good Feelings" and hope I can finish it by Wednesday.

I wish i had more songs but truth be told the disney song helps push it to about 28 minutes.

Going to try do some mad sequencing this weekend and fit in one more song or two:)

I also put my show pc in my basement office and ran a weatherproof ethernet jack outside for easy network acces to the lor controllers.

Last night I used windows remote desktop on my laptop to hit the show pc in the house so I can test all the lights from the console over wireless in my yard. Pretty handy!

So tonight I am going to record it and hopefully later tonight sync a good fidelity audio track under it in premiere then post to youtube

Keep your fingers crossed for me guys that frankenstorm "Sandy" stays the heck away from SW Virgina!

Would hate to have a hurricane ruin my first show ever!

Oh and mad props to you guys with the 1000's of lights and crazy numbers of channels. It took me 4 days to put in ethernet, mounting systems, power and speaker cable + controllers and lights. When the heck do you guys start decorating for Christmas? October? September? LOL

Glad I pulled something together. I'm seriously hooked now. Next year we're going to "light up the night!"

Video's soon!

Funkymzk

Would love to see the FloRida "Good Feelings", have been hunting that one for a while. I have things to trade!! lol

Ahh Sterns! Love it. Great tune. I haven't started on christmas either. Not sure if i'll pull something off or just wait until next year so I can do everything I wanted. Again it comes down to time. I've been working on some fun songs, but no christmas music. So we shall see. As of tonight I had to take a lot of our halloween decorations in. It's windy as heck here right now, but I suspect you being in Newport News already know that!

And as far as "Good Feelings" that MIGHT just end up being my christmas music!

Hehe. The KPOP revolution continues on my house! Teenagers offer wonderful inspiration. Did this the night before Halloween. Needed to get my other face "Esmeralda" some air time. We've had PSY, now it's time for Hyuna and a little "ice cream" Some boo-boo's here and there, but this thing just cracks me up! Happy Halloween..."funkymzk style" :)

Well Halloween was a blast. Had some good crowds thanks to my daughter and her facebook friends. Definately hooked now. For the most part, went off without a hitch.

It was my youngest ones 5th birthday and I had the house sing her an Alvin and the Chipmunks version of "Happy Birthday." That got one heckova big smile!

Unfortunately about an hour into the show my amplifier in my office started overheating and tripping the thermal so it would shut down. Grabbed my meter and and the right (farthest speaker) was putting a 1 ohm load on my amp. I dont know if water got in the lines or I knicked the speaker wire when I ran it. It never did it at any of the tests. The run wasn't even that far and the gauge was good. Left speaker and wire were fine at 8 ohms. Figures it would happen Halloween night. Had to quickly change out the wire and all was good! Will check the wire when I pull it out this weekend. Odd indeed.

The neighbors are already asking what they can expect for Christmas. Told them I would probably wait until next year so I can do the show that I had originally planned. Plus, I'm tired. Pulling the small show off in less than a month wore me out, especially after the move.

After watching my videos, I still have a LOT of polishing to do. So I think I'm going to wait and do it right. Don't want to spend all of November sequencing and I really want to use the RGB's.

So I think I'll spend a good portion of next year working with songs, the RGB's and nicer props. I am glad I did something this year. Helped get my feet wet and know what to expect now.

Will have some more videos up by this weekend. Halloween songs this time. No more KPOP!