Light-O-Rama Forums

OMG

wrm

I thought I had everything mearsured right but being in the north I decided to put my controlers inside my shop which extends the length of cord I need by about 50 per channel well I am out of cord and still have 14 more channels to hook up . I have orderd more and pray it gets here soon dammit . For all the newbees do not change your layout this time off year

I have decided not to put my controllers out in the weather even though they say they are weather proof. Today it was 76 monday 36 and rain and heavy snow I personally would rather keep them in my heated shop maybe a little OCDC but if it saves a controler then I am good

I have heard of OCD, but never have I heard of OCDC. Is that Oscillating Current Direct Current? :lol:

Only time I can remember someone loosing a controller when it was outside is from a slug. If you use the plastic box from LOR or one of the CG-XXXX boxes and make no modification to it. You would be GTG with rain or snow. Now I am a bit OCD and I build the board (solder it). Once it is soldered and I have cleaned the flux off. I give it a good spraying of clear Kryon paint.

But you go on and buy all of that expensive copper wire. I will buy more lights and controllers mean time.

• Like 1

Guest wbottomley
But you go on and buy all of that expensive copper wire. I will buy more lights and controllers mean time.

Out of likes for the day.

I lost one board to a slug once. Burned the main trace in half. LOR replaced it at no cost. :)

How about putting your controller next to the area that's being connected?

I agree. My first year I wanted to keep my controller safe inside and ran conduit to outside and under ground. Second year had to redo some things because of expansion and put 1 controller outside. I liked it so much that this year two controllers will be outside. Next year, only one controller will remain indoors, it runs the landscaping lights.

All my controllers are outside. No snow here, but the Florida heat can sometime fry eggs on the sidewalk, and we do get some hard and windy rain/thunder-lightning storms. And I've never had a problem with any of our wet weather doing anything to the controllers.

Only had one get a lizard inside one of my controllers and he got electrocuted, fried him to a crispy critter. Was truly surprised no damage was done to the traces or the controller.

So now I block the cat5 cable entrances off with foam ro something similar, since that is where the unwanted lizards and other unwanted bugs/vermin could get inside the controllers.

Kind of wish LOR had used the same materials there at the cat5 holes as they did on the dongles and power cords, since they really help keep the vermin out of the controllers.

That is the only access point {cat5 cable in/out} that I found where critters can get inside the controllers.

A slug... Oh No! I am from the land of slugs... in the Fall they are like herds of buffalo roaming the yard. I've even had them work their way inside my house through an unused hole in the floor drilled for a cable line. I've since plugged the hole, but now I have a fear of slugs killing my boards... NOOOOOO!

-RainyOregonChristmas

I have some controllers going on their 10th season... Some have been literally buried in snow for several seasons. In 2010 I had 8 controllers I couldn't even see the top of when the city pushed a huge snow berm along our entire frontage - I had to literally dig them out. Never had an issue. Go ahead and place them near your elements and save yourself a lot of hassle and money.

From the been there, done that file...

I also have a few dozen controllers ourdoors. The only weather-related issue I've had was one night I forgot to close an enclosure tightly after doing something with the comm cable and poor widdle uddems got wet from snow. (Brought it in and dried it and it worked fine, but that's a different story.)

William's advice is spot-on. Put the controllers as close to your display elements as possible. The number of extension cords we need is already oppressive - why add any more than you need to? If you do the math - and I didn't do it seriously enough for the first couple of years - you'll find the cost of unnecessary extension cords (or unnecessary length) isn't very far from the cost of another controller. Just saying...

• Like 1

Out of likes for the day.

I lost one board to a slug once. Burned the main trace in half. LOR replaced it at no cost. :)

What happened to the slug?

I thought I had everything mearsured right but being in the north I decided to put my controlers inside my shop which extends the length of cord I need by about 50 per channel well I am out of cord and still have 14 more channels to hook up . I have orderd more and pray it gets here soon dammit . For all the newbees do not change your layout this time off year

I ordered from Christmaslightshow.com cord is like $140ish for 100' feet. the plugs are the cheapest I've found... I also used up 1000 feet and had to order more. I ordered yesterday and it's shipping today.

From the been there, done that file...

I also have a few dozen controllers ourdoors. The only weather-related issue I've had was one night I forgot to close an enclosure tightly after doing something with the comm cable and poor widdle uddems got wet from snow. (Brought it in and dried it and it worked fine, but that's a different story.)

William's advice is spot-on. Put the controllers as close to your display elements as possible. The number of extension cords we need is already oppressive - why add any more than you need to? If you do the math - and I didn't do it seriously enough for the first couple of years - you'll find the cost of unnecessary extension cords (or unnecessary length) isn't very far from the cost of another controller. Just saying...

slugs? really? spray the yard with insecticide maybe? I treat my yard with 7 dust cuz of fire ants and all...fleas.... so I should be good. I HAD my controllers in the yard near the display until my husband went all paranoid about someone stealing them. (he knows much they cost) So he moved them and attached them to the house near where they will need to go... added to our wire but not alot. I had already purchased the zip cord... needed to order more. no biggie..I have enough other cords (husband is a contractor..we have power cords!) One thing that has me puzzled... the ethernet cords. I have it running from box to box... but I bought a couple and I can't get the little head thingys through that hole. So the cord comes from one box into it... I can't get the other in... weird? or just me? or common? I don't want to cut the thing off... I mean I just bought it!

I agree with William as well, as I was paying as much, if not more for wire vs. controllers. I was initially worried when I got my first LOR controllers about weather and safety from theft. Now I am planning on moving controllers away from the house and out into the display. The only question I have is; Are the metal enclosures as protective against rain and snow as the plastic ones, or should I buy some sort of plastic box to house the metal ones in?

The only question I have is; Are the metal enclosures as protective against rain and snow as the plastic ones, or should I buy some sort of plastic box to house the metal ones in?

Yes, the metal ones are as good, if not better, as the plastic.

A pont that has tried to be made. Extenion cords, extension cords, extension cords. Get tripple what you think you need. Just a note for those not started putting up lights yet.

Exactly. I'm missing a whole Sterlite Tote's worth of extension cords. I hope my dad borrowed them as he thinks whatever he finds in the garage he can use and not return. I've lost an extension cord here and there to him just that same way, but not 16 of them at one time.

I have eight of the metal Showtime controllers out for the Halloween show. They stay out every year until Christmas is over. My biggest concern (the last two years) is that the stink bugs will move in on one.

Ok, for all of the newbies that have not seen past post about controllers and the risk of them being stolen. I cant say I have ever heard anyone say that they had a controller stolen. Inflatables slashed, strings cut, and rodents chewing through wires, yes, yes, yes. People have hiden their controllers behind bushes, inside of color foil wrapped boxes that look like presents that covered over the controllers. Seen one guy mount all of his controllers in a garden tool shed that measured about 5 X 3 X 6' outfitted it with a light so he could trouble shoot in the dark. Seen them mounted on simple 2x4 post. I had a local metal fab shop make a 1X1' plate wielded to a 2" x 4' angle iron. I drive this into the ground and have the plate tapped and mount the controller to this. And then some of us have a security camera and some just use one of those motion detection wildlife cameras to help guard the yard.

But I say again. While your buying more wire. I'll be buying more lights and controllers. What ever works for you.