Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer

columbus27

I have one of these Dell 520 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7122664&CatId=5139 But in the past few days it's been overheating. It is one of my several computers. So last night I was working on a sequence and doing a playback in with the animation window on. Then the screen went white. After I restarted the computer it was all good.

Question?

1. What should I be looking for in a computer such as graphic card or processor
  2. My wife plays those Facebook games and it takes up a lot of processor speed, which is more important the processor or the video card
  3. What could be causing my computer to overheat?
  4. Is it even worth repairing this referb computer?
  5. And I'm looking for something on the cheap but good-ish

Get a can of compressed air and blow out the dust bunnies. We have four cats and the Wife needs to clean the vents on hers at least once a month. Mine are in a computer rack so I only need to do it twice a year. This may help.

Tom Straub

Edited by testraub

Look into an aftermarket heatsink for the cpu if the case will allow. A graphics card will also help editor-wise, but to run show not needed unless you are using video as well.

Edited by dgtlpro

My show computer is an old Dell I purchased in 03 for 299. This is for the computer in my room, where I do a light of sequencing on and watching youtube

I would also remove the CPU heat sink and clean off all of the old heat transfer grease or pad. Get some artic silver heat sink paste. Read the instructions and use the credit like card to get an even thin coating. Re install the heat sink. Some CPUs over time go bad and I dont think you can get them cool enough no matter what. But the above has breathed new life into some computers for a time. And I never build a new computer using the boxed heat sink and fan. I always buy a bigger heat sink and fan.

• The topic was locked