Light-O-Rama Forums

making a crossover cable

zanclus

Hi everyone I need to make a crossover cat5 cable to run DDMX from my RS485.Can anone tell me the order of colors on the exit side of the cable? I have the tools to do this and would not like to have to but one due to shipping is almost 1.5 times the price of the cable.

Thank you, That was exactly with I was loking for.... now off to make cable... gotta get all this figured out before I put lights out...

zancius, let me add a caution. What you have is a "DMX converter" cable. If you went into a store looking for a Crossover cable, you would get something different, and used in Ethernet networks.

Perhaps you know the difference, but they just the same unless you look very closely at the wire colors in the crimped RJ45 plug. If you don't mark it well, you'll get them mixed up eventually.

zancius, let me add a caution. What you have is a "DMX converter" cable. If you went into a store looking for a Crossover cable, you would get something different, and used in Ethernet networks.

Perhaps you know the difference, but they just the same unless you look very closely at the wire colors in the crimped RJ45 plug. If you don't mark it well, you'll get them mixed up eventually.

I am well aware of that fact but I do appreceate the info. As it turns out I will not need the ctossover. The Dangle from HolidayCoro works just fine running the DMX Along side of my LOR controllers.

Refer to this presentationwhich gives you diagrams and also shows you how to connect your LOR controllers into a DMX network

Am I really this blind? I follow that link to a topic on the ACL Forum that says here is the presentation, but there is no presentation, nor a link to it that I can find. What am I missing? I even thought that maybe it was something that does not work in Firefox, so I tried it in Internet Exploder with the same result. There is a paperclip symbol which I assumed was a link, but it's not...

Am I really this blind? I follow that link to a topic on the ACL Forum that says here is the presentation, but there is no presentation, nor a link to it that I can find. What am I missing? I even thought that maybe it was something that does not work in Firefox, so I tried it in Internet Exploder with the same result. There is a paperclip symbol which I assumed was a link, but it's not...

Jim,

I believe that you need to register on the ACL forum to see/download the material.

FastEddy sent me there for other DMX and E1.31 information and I had to sign on to thier forum to see/DL it ..

Bob (KC5HFI)

• 2 months later...

Most forums will not let you download content unless you register and ACL is no different, so you would need to register, but thats easy to do and well worth it.

• The topic was locked