What Did You Get Done Today?

Guest wbottomley

As to what I got done today:

Worked on a singing pumpkin face in pegboard, took way longer than I thought to outline the first 130 lights...priced out what I need for an 8' spiral tree, did some grocery shopping, had a couple beers...and foolishly looked at this board and found new and exciting things to do with decorations I had no plan to use... :)

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL are you serious? :)

Each bulb "shares" the voltage. As each bulb burns out, it on longer takes its "share" of voltage and the others get a little more. Once 2 or 3 burn out you're now overvoltaging all the other bulbs in the series, and they'll burn out faster, and the problem cascades...

Wow, any place you can recommend some replacements... I got to get to work!

Found out yesterday I'm going to have to change radio frequency.

Don't wait until the last minutes and find out you have to change frequency.

Check it now.

Luckily I just have to move some lights on the last digit (a three to a five).

Thomas

Wow, any place you can recommend some replacements... I got to get to work!

You can usually find carded packs wherever incans are sold, but the best value is to just canabalize them from a new string. for the cost of a new string. You get 102 lights (100 + a couple bagged spares) for a few cents a bulb. The carded packs are usually 5-10 for $1, so do the math :)

Found out yesterday I'm going to have to change radio frequency.

Don't wait until the last minutes and find out you have to change frequency.

Check it now.

Luckily I just have to move some lights on the last digit (a three to a five).

Thomas

I'm in the same boat. Turned on my car radio to find a radio station on my frequency. Did a Google Search for the call sign but could not find anything about it, so it could be an illegal station, but in any case, I'm moving. Just need to find an open frequency, change my sign, and look at changing my voiceovers. I agree with not waiting till the last minute.

Got my Holiday Coro "Tune To" sign done and mounted on a frame, started the support frames for my snowflakes, and started on the frames for my 10 mini trees. I hoped to have all of those things done but ended up spending a lot of time replacing a bathroom faucet and drain instead...

This is my first year having any sort of display at all.

Saturday was the 1st day I was able connect all channels and all controllers and see if it was all going to work.

I guess I did something right....

3 LOR 16-Channel Controllers

1 Sandevices e681

All work without any problems! ( I did realize that I mis-labeled some cords though)

I've spent the last week putting "De-Ox" compound on ALL my removable LED bulb strings. Only got about 1100 more to go. I think this is the MOST

monotonous rhing I've ever done in 52 years :blink:

Tom Straub

I got my completed donation box back in my possession. I take no credit for the work on the box. I had a lot of caring people volunteer their time and labor to develop it for our display. We do all donations to the Children's Hospital of Alabama.

I'm not sure why it uploaded the picture sideways. It shows correctly on my screen.

post-5291-13512185189701_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmy

Today? nothing, but the past week I completed my "mini" trees. Also, went through all my sequencing and fixed a few oopsies.

This weekend I will redo wreath, and get everything ready needed for the roof since I put it up next weekend!

I am behind. My goal was to not work on Christmas stuff every night from Oct to lights on day, but it doesn't appear that will happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrapped 5 trees in the yard, large oaks and maples. Spent the better part of 5 hours on them. It is the least favorite thing to do every year. I have to come up with a better thing to do with my trees. AT least I got them done and that is behind me now.

Wrapped the bottom of my three trees with rope light (red & white) and put up 4 70ct. strands of C6 LED Lights on each (one tree in red, green & pure white).

One of my neighbors pulled up and told me "dude! It's not even thanksgiving yet!" Then he said

You're the first Mexican red neck I meet. Jajaja. I thought to myself if you only knew what I have planned

For 2013 and this christmas.

My Marty fan is done, border lights installed, icicle lights 3/4 done, two large bushes done. Next weekend is a five day weekend for me. The ball tree goes up, roof stars and mini trees. Thankgiving week, leftover stuff not done yet and testing and tweaking.

I got the LED light rope around my 3 tree rings lit up - and they SUCK. Remember that I am just doing landscape lighting. In my front yard I have a back wall with 17 roses along the wall. Each of the roses has about a 2 1/2 foot segment of LED light rope and it looks just fine. Across the middle of the yard are 3 brick tree rings that have had the same LED light rope around the inside edge of the ring. Got those wired into a controller today. When it got dark, I realized that there was a problem. The LED light rope I have is a very warm white. Under the steps up to my front porch I have 5050 LED RGB strips (mostly there so my partially blind dad can see the steps). The 5050 strips are a VERY cool white so I normally run at 70% Red, 40% Green and 10% Blue. One of the tree rings is right in front of the porch steps, and even at my normal setting on the RGB strips, the tree ring looks a horrible dingy yellowy white. The light rope in front of the roses was not a problem because it was across the yard and not normally in the same sight picture, but the west tree ring being right in front of the porch looked awful. Brought my wife outside and she agreed with me, so I just placed an order from Ray Wu for some more 5050 dumb strips for the tree rings. Oh, and I also ordered 20 meters of 2811 strips for another part of the yard while I was at it...

Rehung new lights on the house. Not an easy task as the peaks are tall and roof line is extremely complicated. Not happy about it because I hung the old lights 2 weeks ago. Tested the old lights twice. Once before installing them and then again after. But then Hurricane Sandy hit and many strings failed or broke. Ugg! Wasted 2 very nice days in New England redoing what was already finished. I was hoping and planning on not being rushed this year. Praying for some nice weekends ahead to finish.

got my mega tree up, wired and tested. got all but one section of the roof line done. O- and hacked my bushs down so I don't have to use as many stings to cover them.

slowly but surely I'll get there.

Got all my extension cords run. Wow. That was a job. So glad my kids helped or I'd be out there 'till Xmas. Also got my first 5 controllers connected to the network and tested. Found one with 2 bad triacs. ...sigh... My newest controller. (Used one season) Trying to decide whether to send it to LOR for repair. Or repair it myself. I've done some soldering, but far from an expert.

Also got my garage cleaned up. FINALLY. Haven't parked a vehicle in there in 2-3 months.

All-in-all, a great weekend. One more solid day and everything should be operational.