Light-O-Rama Forums

No Communication.. Need some help please!

Guest guest

Hey all! I just got done building one of the 16 channel pc kits. And now I cannot get the computer to see the controller. And right now I have 3 sets of lights plugged in and they are really dim.. when I think they should be off.. any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

UPDATE.. got the lights off.. but computer still wont detect it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the Led flashing steadily?

Got your jumpers in place?

If those things are OK, continue...

Click the "Ignore Errors" check box on the Hardware Utility if you haven't already done so, then try to set the Unit ID.

Now click "Refresh". If it detects a unit but says it's "Unknown" you're OK. You just need the HW Util update.

If you still have problems, I'll let someone that knows more than I help you out. :P

Edit: Are you sure your cable is good? Correct COM Port selected? Also, check the solder on the jacks.

Can you tell us what you do know is OK? eg: Is the LED flashing steadily? Also, do you have a known good unit that you can verify that the cable, etc. is good?

yes, I have a good 8 channel unit and the computer will detect it fine!.. so that's good. The led will go steady but Pc still cannot find it.. dont know why though!.. its fustrating.. all this work and you can't play with it!

Newest update.. don't know if the microprocessor should be warm or getting hot.. but it is and it hasn't done anything..(eg. controlled lights)

I'd contact LOR Support.

While you're waiting, you might download the firmware from their site and try updating it. (It's possible that it got wigged out somehow.)

I doubt that will help but it will give you something to do while you wait! :laughing:

Sorry I couldn't help. :{

Like I said - it will give you something to do while you wait! :P

Do you have a lighted magnifying glass? Most likely there's something not soldered. It's easy to miss entire rows of things. (I know someone who's done it! ;) )

Go back and make sure you've got the right components in the right place.

In fact, have SOMEONE ELSE check it. It's pretty tough to check your own work.

Thanks for your help!.. thats what im beginning to wonder I need to do.. is recheck the solder connections.. because its acting almost as if one is to weak.. like more than likely the microprocessor its self.. but idk.. ill have to check.

Jeremy,

If the red LED light on the controller is steady on, then your computer and controller are talking to each other. This means you have a good connection.

I hate to ask a stupid question but did you try just running a sequence thru the sequence editor with "control lights" checked? Does the channel config match the unit number of the controller?

Just trying to help.

Tom

Jeremy Lawton wrote:

Got good news.. we are resolved.. i reseated the microprocessor chip and it fixed it!.. although its being detected as an unknown device.

See my first post to fix that!

One more thing to try if you haven't already. In the H.U., click on the "Auto Configure" button. Some times this will automatically find the port device. But if you have a steady "on" LED, it's reading the controller.

Just my thoughts,

Tom

Jeremy Lawton wrote:

How do I know then if I got the unit ID set?

Do you have the 16D or 16PC model? The 16D have turn dials to set the unit number to.