Light-O-Rama Forums

I want the same volume for all the music

Rickbj

Hi Everyone,

One of the frustrating problems I had was the fact that the music I purchased on-line for the music sequences seemed to have a different volume for each song. When playing the sequences some of the volume was too low or too high. I checked Audacity to see if that could adjust the volume of the individual songs, but it would only adjust what you heard through Audacity but would NOT change the volume of the MP3 file in your computer. Thus when you played the song through LOR, the original volume was used.

I did find some software that actually does change the volume of the MP3 file on the computer, and it is freeware - no charge.

I copied all my music files in the Audio folder of Light-O-Rama to a back-up folder. I then used this software and treated all my LOR music files as an 'album'. The software then went through and analyzed all the music and showed a graphic by song of the differences within the 'album'. I then continued and had the software process all the music so that all the songs were similar in volume.

The software worked perfectly showing a consistant volume throughout the 'album'.

I then opened the individual sequences and checked each one. It worked perfectly.

I recommend this software to anyone who has the same problem with differing volumes in the LOR sequences and shows. The software is called MP3Gain and can be found here:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Check it out, read the web site and see if it is something you could use.

• Thanks 1

It is that time of year when we see an influx of newbies to the hobby. In a perfect world they'd all read the documentation, search for the forums and figure it out for themselves. That's not the case though. People are going to ask the same questions again and again. They'll post the same information over and over. It happens every year. Some of those newbies decide it is not the hobby they want to do.

Others, though, get into it and are soon drowning in channels and lights. They'll be planning their 2013 or 2014 display next month while they are setting up for their first display. They'll be here on the forums to learn more about the hobby, and share with the new crop of newbies coming in next year. The best part? They'll get to see the same questions over and over with us next year.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone here, but trying to point out that it doesn't do the hobby and the LOR community any good to give the newbies a hard time. Just doesn't. If you know the answer, and have a free moment, answer the question and welcome them to the hobby. If they've asked the same question that someone else posted 20 minutes ago and it bothers you, just don't answer.

Carson Williams, Richard Holdman and Kevin Judd (cracker) were all new to the hobby once. I'm sure they asked someone, somewhere, a question that might be considered basic, and probably could have been gotten from a manual. (I even asked Dan once if I could use LED's on the controllers.) However, someone answered their question and the rest is history.

Hi Everyone,

...I copied all my music files in the Audio folder of Light-O-Rama to a back-up folder. I then used this software and treated all my LOR music files as an 'album'. The software then went through and analyzed all the music and showed a graphic by song of the differences within the 'album'. I then continued and had the software process all the music so that all the songs were similar in volume.

The software worked perfectly showing a consistant volume throughout the 'album'.

I then opened the individual sequences and checked each one. It worked perfectly.

I recommend this software to anyone who has the same problem with differing volumes in the LOR sequences and shows. The software is called MP3Gain and can be found here:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Check it out, read the web site and see if it is something you could use.

I guess you’ve figured out a lot of use MP3Gain by now :)

I’ve always used Track Gain rather than Album Gain on my show songs. Based on the help file definition, Track Gain sounded like the best way to go:

Track mode volume - Corrects a mix of unrelated songs to a selected level.

Album mode volume - Corrects a collection of related songs. The overall volume of the album is adjusted to the Target Volume.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say thanks to Rickbj. I too was having problems with audio levels until today. I had searched the forums with no luck. He is correct that if you don't find the correct term or key word you miss the answer you need. A board for a reasonably hi-tech device with little in common with every day devices is by nature going to have a lot more repetative questions which may iratate some who do this day after day. The explosion of youtube and the popularity of some over the top (you guys know who you are) displays haves added many new members such as my self with a steep learning curve. Thanks to all who are willing to help.

https://vimeo.com/51193558

I appreciate this thread and question. A few weeks ago I searched this site for this same thing and I was unable to find the information. Obviously, I didn't search the right words. So thank you for asking the question and thank you to those who answered with helpful Information.

Rick thank you for your post. I have audacity installed but never really learned how to use it. After reading your post I installed mp3 gain. It's a simple little program and I love it! :wub: