Light-O-Rama Forums

RS485 converters for multiple networks

Manti

I have read a lot of posts talking about the maximum number of CCB/CCPs/CCRs that should be on a network. I purchased 5 CCPs and I'm trying to figure out if I need more than one RS485 converter to run 3 networks, one for my standard controllers and then split up the 5CCPs since each has 2 unit IDS. I've tried in the past to have 2 converters but my system doesn't recognize one of them.

Mike A.

While it's hard to come up with exact numbers, we are currently recommending no more than 300 nodes/network. With 100ct ccbs, that would be no more than 3 per network.

3 networks will run everything, as well as give you a little head room for the future. There should be no issues running multiple LOR RS485 adapters. Just ensure that you have the 'Advanced' level of the software since all other levels can only use the 'REGular' network, and you'll be using that PLUS AUX A and AUX B.

I have a question as well. How do you run mutiple RS485 adapters. I have one with two ethernet outputs. Can I connect another to one of my other USB ports? Will the advanced software of S3 recognize more than one comm port? Thanks

I have a question as well. How do you run mutiple RS485 adapters. I have one with two ethernet outputs. Can I connect another to one of my other USB ports? Will the advanced software of S3 recognize more than one comm port? Thanks

Each USB485 is a network. The fact that there are two RJ45 ports on a single USB485 doesn't mean it's two networks, it means you can run two CAT5 cables from that USB485.

To run multiple 485 adapters, you 'simply' plug them in and configure them. Depending on what version of software you run, will determine the easiest way to configure the networks within the LOR Software.

What if they have an older computer with say 2 USB ports and they want to run two or more RS-485 adapters and a USB mouse. Does one get a USB hub. I would presume that it would have to be one of the ones that are called a Powered USB hub.

You can use a USB hub, and if you do I would go with a powered one.

But a USB hub is still just a single port, broken down into multiple ports. I would think a buss add-on card to a Pc would be the better option but then comes the consideration for someone using a laptop might be an issue. I brought up this idea earlier this year and bascially got laughed at but a ISO network with the LOR controllers running comm via IP addressing would be far more efficient than RS485. Now having the software and hardware all modified to work this way would be a serious challenge for LOR, I think LOR will have to do this eventually anyway. People using CCR's, CCP's and etc. will drive the need for the communication changes with the hardware. Multiple USB/Ports/Universes and etc...it will still reach the limit of what can be done whereas IP addressing opens things up a lot and is so much faster by far. If LOR isn't looking into this, you need to be right now, for the future.

Ethernet has disadvantages also. Distance limit is shorter. Unless you build a hub or switch into your controllers, you have to hub and spoke your controllers. The input section is more expensive. Channel configuration becomes more extensive.

The happy medium will likely be to use E1.31 to a bridge device that puts out 4 RS485 networks of LOR or DMX protocol. You can buy ones for DMX today. One that will do LOR protocol appears to be on the roadmap. Basically this will allow for moving your RS485 bridge off the PC and USB to a remote location.

But to the hub question. I would think you can share several 56Kbps streams over a single 1.1Mbps USB link before you get any meaningful contention.

But a USB hub is still just a single port, broken down into multiple ports...

This is what I have setup this year. I have 3 distinct networks off one hub and all of my tests seems to work flawlessly. I run 1 RS485, and 2 RS485B off the hub. My networks are broken down to Regular (LOR default), Aux A and Aux B.

Edited by Liberty-Laser

I'm talking about the future as people buy more and more devices to hang onto the buss(s). I've seen in action, IP addressed devices pulling data on a gigabyte buss in the thousands of channels per second and commanding similary, across the same buss. For the longer runs, we used Cat6 to fiber and back again. Not saying the devices are cheap, they are not but LOR will possibly have to go this route if the CCR's and CCP's along with all the other numerous possibilities become more mainstream.

• 1 year later...

Is there any thing special needed to run multiple networks? I have two of the new high speed USB adapters running each from their own USB port. I have done the hardware configuration for each networks and assigned controllers to each as well. The sequences are all programmed using the proper network designation for each controller and their related channels. I have my "regular" network of 12 CCR's and my Auxiliary 1 network of Seven 16-channel controllers. When I play a sequence only the "regular" (CCR's) play. Nothing on the Aux Network works. Any thoughts?

Not entirely sure where the disconnect is. It usually really is that easy. We currently run 5 networks of LOR and 16 universes of e1.31, and other than having the "is this the network to use for shows" question in the HWU mess up network configurations, it always has worked as expected.

KLB......I also get the "is this network to use for shows" question in HWU. I click yes for each Comm port. Should I not? It seems as if it will only allow one port for shows. How do you handle that issue in HWU?

KLB......I also get the "is this network to use for shows" question in HWU. I click yes for each Comm port. Should I not? It seems as if it will only allow one port for shows. How do you handle that issue in HWU?

If you have multiple networks, never answer yes to this dialog for any com port other than the one assigned to your regular network. And honestly, not even then. It is a shortcut allowing those with only a regular network to set the network configuration of the regular network without going into the network configuration. But it is a trap for users with multiple networks. If your regular network is com3, and auxA is com6, and you use the HWU to test something on com6, and answer yes, you will now have a network configuration with regular network on com6, and no com port for AuxA, and nothing working, as your regular network data is now going out the com port for AuxA.

With multiple networks, only allow the network configuration tool to update network configurations, and things will be simpler.