Light-O-Rama Forums

Triac Replacement Question

DrWizard

I lost 1 triac 3 years ago, and 2 more last year. So now I have 3 bad ones in my CTB16D. I ordered some more triacs from Digikey and am about to install them soon. I am good at soldering and this is no big deal to me.

My question is: What is the simplest set of steps to get the board out of the CTB16D's metal box so I can work on it? What do I need to or not need to remove? In what order? No doubt I could figure it out, I'm mechanically inclined as well, but I'm sure someone out there has already done this a bunch of times and can tell me the quickest, easiest way. From just a visual inspection, it looks like there is quite a few things that will have to be loosened or removed to get to the back of the board to unsolder the old one and solder in a new one. I saw in another forum topic, someone claimed to replace one in under 5 minutes, and that seems a bit suspect to me. Maybe 5 minutes of soldering ... and 20 minutes of disassembly / reassembly!
Edited by LORAdmin
Post moved to own thread. Combined with other.

My question is: What is the simplest set of steps to get the board out of the CTB16D's metal box so I can work on it? What do I need to or not need to remove? In what order? No doubt I could figure it out, I'm mechanically inclined as well, but I'm sure someone out there has already done this a bunch of times and can tell me the quickest, easiest way. From just a visual inspection, it looks like there is quite a few things that will have to be loosened or removed to get to the back of the board to unsolder the old one and solder in a new one. I saw in another forum topic, someone claimed to replace one in under 5 minutes, and that seems a bit suspect to me. Maybe 5 minutes of soldering ... and 20 minutes of disassembly / reassembly!

Edited by LORAdmin
Post relocated to own thread.

Sorry but multiple post will not increase you chances of getting replies. I think William already gave you your answer. There are no short cuts. Sounds like your an educated man so get to it man or send it in. My only advice to you is to remember to mark your wires so you know where you took them off and which one goes where. Have a nice open unclutered area to work so you can take things out in order and line them up on the work surface to help you remember where everything goes. When taking the Triac out, there are two schools of doing this. One is to clean out the solder and take it out whole. Or better yet, have a pair of small side cutter and small needle nose plyers. Cut the leads as close to the body as you can. Heat the solder joint and remove the leads one at a time. Now go back and either use solder wick to draw out the solder or a good solder vac and suck the solder out. Now reverse and put it all back together. Sorry no waving of wands or twitching of noses here.

Oh note to you. Noticed that the Admin moved your post to its own thread. That means dont be rude and post your problem in someone elses thread. Not good for making friends that way.

Edited by Max-Paul

• 1 month later...

Yes, Max Paul is right. You must observe everything first before removing or pulling out any connection. Note down any connections for you to be able to remember all of them or just draw them and note the color coding of wires. After replacing the Triac you don’t have to worry putting everything back.

I have had a lot of luck simply by cutting the triac off the board, and using a solder vacuum to get the bits of remaining parts of the pins out of the board and clearing the holes. Then I insert the new triac in and solder from the top of the board.