Light-O-Rama Forums

Merits of Show Director and MP3 Playeror PC

Guest guest

G'Day,

I have been wondering if there is any merit in purchasing the "Show Director and MP3 Player", or just using the PC, to control the show.

What are the advantages/disadvantages in using the "Show Director"

Thanks

Deblen

The advantage is you don’t need a computer but that is an obvious one. But they do the same ‘job’ and I feel with the computer you get a little more control if you want to ‘tweak’. I feel for $200 it is a little high, considering you can get a computer near that ball park. But it does have it’s place, when you don’t want to run a cable from your computer to your front yard (Or even worse off – Computer in the yard). But also the advantage of size, it can easily fit into any enclosure. I have debated it and feel for my setup a computer is a better option but I also have 5 just sitting on the floor of my office not being used (So FREE). But for my family, who is wanting to do LOR, I feel the Director is the best option for them, and especially since I will have to weak it for them (They wont). I just want to give them a new SD card. Granted if I had a computer there I could also upload any tweaks remotely but just as easy to email the file to them and let them put it on the card.

Everyone I know with one LOVES it so you defiantly can’t go wrong, but you have to mostly look at it as Do I want to use my computer or not.

bhays wrote:

If you foresee going the video direction, the show director would not be an option as it is only capable of playing audio.

Good Point ... an LOR II feature.

I run OTSDJ as my FM radio software, and its audio resources conflict with LOR audio resources.

The mp3 player/director took care of that issue nicely.:waycool:

I now have my FM transmitter broadcasting non display sequenced Christmas music (using OTSDJ) until 5pm, at which time the sequenced display music (LOR) is broadcast until 11pm, when the OTSDJ resumes.

Greg

Running it via computer allows you to change it from your keyboard very quickly.

With an MP3 Director you physically have to go to the unit to change the schedule of your show. You might even consider buying two cards, so you can create the new schedule, then swap cards so your display isn't 'down' for any length of time.

Don wrote:

Running it via computer allows you to change it from your keyboard very quickly.

With an MP3 Director you physically have to go to the unit to change the schedule of your show. You might even consider buying two cards, so you can create the new schedule, then swap cards so your display isn't 'down' for any length of time.

I use two cards on my MP3 player. What I did was to install it in an enclosure and leave it in my house next to the computer. When I need to add a message, I simply format my 2nd card and replace it into the player. There is no need to reformat shows, or otherwise.

Doing this allows me free use of my computer. I can listen to anything I want (without having it broadcast on the FM transmitter), as well as allowing others access to the computer (no need to reboot).

I ran mine with a timer and did not have any problems at all this past season. That being said, with a timer the song will turn off no matter where it is in the show.

Dan at LOR has a new toy that will be available soon. It is a small pocket size box that holds a memory chip. It gets wired in-line with any other LOR boxes. You can download all your shows, sequences & audio to this little box and never need to worry about having a PC hooked up again.

Bascially, you use a card reader to load the memory chip, than just insert it into the little box. Ideally you would velcro this little box inside one of your enclosures.

Very neat little toy.

MichaelC wrote:

It gets wired in-line with any other LOR boxes. You can download all your shows, sequences & audio to this little box and never need to worry about having a PC hooked up again.

And video ?

Well, not officially yet... it does video in the same way AL does it...pc trickery...my understanding was that LORII might 'internalize' the video a bit more.

MichaelC wrote:

Dan at LOR has a new toy that will be available soon. It is a small pocket size box that holds a memory chip. It gets wired in-line with any other LOR boxes. You can download all your shows, sequences & audio to this little box and never need to worry about having a PC hooked up again.

Bascially, you use a card reader to load the memory chip, than just insert it into the little box. Ideally you would velcro this little box inside one of your enclosures.

Very neat little toy.

This is exactly what the standalone mp3 player does now. It sounds like the only difference is size (and maybe price;))

Greg

MichaelC wrote:

Very neat little toy.

Sounds good, except I still need to connect an FM transmitter somewhere. I am trying to figure out a way to do this with either the new "toy" or with the Director card. The problem lies in that the transmitter is not weather proof and the vertically oriented whip antenna will allow water to run down right on top of the circuit board. I thought of putting it inside a large metal or plastic enclosure and using silicone to seal around the hole where the antenna would protrude, but this doesn't seem like a great idea.

derrickb wrote:

Sounds good, except I still need to connect an FM transmitter somewhere. I am trying to figure out a way to do this with either the new "toy" or with the Director card. The problem lies in that the transmitter is not weather proof and the vertically oriented whip antenna will allow water to run down right on top of the circuit board. I thought of putting it inside a large metal or plastic enclosure and using silicone to seal around the hole where the antenna would protrude, but this doesn't seem like a great idea.

I keep my card in the house and connect it to the controls using a cable. This way, I can manipulate the FM transmitter as I see fit and keep everything nice and dry.