Light-O-Rama Forums

Need LOR Help

Guest guest

(Note: Dan deserves time off .. so don't read that the wrong way, okay?)

Anyone ever encounter a situation where your fuses started popping 4 weeks into the display? I've been okay until now. However, now when I plug in the unit I blow the fuse real quick.

Today, I put one in the right side, then plugged in the unit. Using the hardware utility, I went one by one turning on channels 9-16, still okay. Unplug so I can replace the left side ... and no power to the right side after I plug in. The fuse blew.

Ideas, anyone? Like I said, this has been working all season, and went haywire last night.

Don wrote:

(Note: Dan deserves time off .. so don't read that the wrong way, okay?)

Anyone ever encounter a situation where your fuses started popping 4 weeks into the display? I've been okay until now. However, now when I plug in the unit I blow the fuse real quick.

Today, I put one in the right side, then plugged in the unit. Using the hardware utility, I went one by one turning on channels 9-16, still okay. Unplug so I can replace the left side ... and no power to the right side after I plug in. The fuse blew.

Ideas, anyone? Like I said, this has been working all season, and went haywire last night.

Sounds like a short in one of your wires, or you are drawing too much current.

Check for a short using a multimeter (or VOM) on each of the individual outputs. make sure one of the 2 wires going to the board from each output is not hooked up, so you can see if there is any continuity, clear of the board.

If none is found, then you need to be sure you are not exceeding a 15 amp draw on the board, and that you are using the proper 15 amp rated fuses..

Greg

You turned on each circuit one at a time and it was OK. But then something caused the fuse to go out. Is it possibly a combination of circuits on at one time that causes it.

With nothing plugged into 9-16 does the fuse hold OK. If so then the problem is outside in the wires. Are there any home made power cords or common neutral cords in use?

Edit: Also I have seen a plug/socket connection get wet or loose and the result is a much higher current draw. This could push you over the edge.

LightORama wrote:

With nothing plugged into 9-16 does the fuse hold OK. If so then the problem is outside in the wires. Are there any home made power cords or common neutral cords in use?

Edit: Also I have seen a plug/socket connection get wet or loose and the result is a much higher current draw. This could push you over the edge.

(Ps. see response in other post as well.)

1) Yes, the fuse held okay. No home made cords, only ones with the ends cut off. No shared neutrals. (Much to confusing for me!)

2) You might be on to something here. #16 was the light for the informational sign. Looked at it today, and it was moist inside. (Tim Fisher: I'll spare you the post! Next year, GFI's! ;-) )