Light-O-Rama Forums

New E1.31 To DMX Bridge

Guest wbottomley

Guest wbottomley

Since the RPM & J1Sys bridge's hit the market, they have been very useful. The guys at DIYLEDEXPRESS have made a new six port unit. This thing is looking sweet.

All of the details have it listed as coming soon.

228155_424968467561474_607467534_n.jpg

This year will be the ground breaking year for this technology. Next year we should have more refined solutions and options to pick from.

Since the RPM & J1Sys bridge's hit the market, they have been very useful. The guys at DIYLEDEXPRESS have made a new six port unit. This thing is looking sweet.

All of the details have it listed as coming soon.

Looks quite a bit simpler than the E682, so keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff, So am I to understand that the E682 can spit out DMX as well as pixel string data by merely setting the jumper? No add-on board required?

Thank you Jeff. I have been looking at the 681 info and I missed that about the 682s. Looks like I'm in for some E682's. I'm at 3738 pixels including 32 GECE 50s for a new spiral tree. I have some custom GECE controllers that are running 1040 pixels over each 485 connection (with a proprietary protocol) and I want to switch to standard DMX but with 11 universes for the tree alone I need E1.31. I was planning on using an E1.31 to [multiple] DMX converter but haven't found one yet. I'll either switch the controllers to DMX and use the 682s for conversion or I'll directly connect to the 682s. It looks like they will give me a couple of ways to go.

Thank you.

Randy

The E1.31 to DMX bridge is exactly what I need but I can't seem to find out anything on the DIYLEDEXPRESS site regarding when it might be available. Does anyone have a definition for "coming soon"?

Randy

Just a point of information: the E682 has 4 jumpers located near the Ethernet module that change the output of a corresponding cluster to 2 wire balanced DMX. With the current firmware you get 6 universes. We're waiting on f/w that will enable Renard, but that will require you to make cables to get the wiring right. The above bridge has jumpers to make that happen.

Jus sayin.

Jeff

So Jeff, what you are stating is that from one of the screw terminals you make into another universe out?

Jeff,

You are not being a bully by asking someone to read a manual. In my case you were extremely helpful (seriously!) by pointing me to a product that I should learn more about. I had only looked at the E681's (no DMX) but now I have read over all of the manuals/documentation on the E682's. They are the cat's meow. I just needed to know which manuals to read.

The problem I had was that I needed some direction about what product(s) I should consider. After several years of 256 LOR channels, I acquired numerous pixel strings and found myself in that daunting position of how do I handle all of the communication bandwidth? It wasn't too bad with two dozen Rainbow Floods running on DMX last year (and 4 Cat-5's from my pc) but after a hardware controller mis-selection, I needed to decide which product(s) to use going forward. Ray Wu has way too many suggestions - helpful but not on target. I appreciate your link to info that the E682 could spit out DMX and I have placed an order for several.

Thank you again!

Randy

Jeff,

Thank you. I re-read the 682 doc in detail last evening (actually more like at 2am) and understand the DMX addressing. Your example is great and totally reinforces what I thought I had figured out. It makes me excited about getting my hands on them but more importantly your description/opinion makes me confident that this will work so I can now turn my attention back to sequencing and props until I receive them.

Regarding Wiznet, I have been using Parallax products (BasicStamp) since 1993 I am actually using Wiznet in two other systems. I think Ben/Wiznet is on the way to becoming the de Facto Ethernet/serial standard much like FDDI is to USB/serial.

I have seen some of your experiences on this board since I joined in '07 and I am surprised at some of what you have put up with. It was watching those exchanges that caused me to decide not to post in the past. I have questions and enjoy a good learning discussion and after 40 years of HW/FW technology feel that I might even occasionally bring something to the table. When I see someone with few/no posts who just got xxx trying to become a self-ordained subject matter expert I just ignore them. Sometimes the real experts try to help them but oftentimes it is like teaching a pig to sing. I understand the frustration and resulting dilemma and all I can say is that you handle it far better than I would. (Those people need to stick to Facebook IMHO.)

Thank you for pointing me to the 682s.

Randy

Ok Jeff.... Breath...IN....Breath...OUT... Relax.

2012 is a big turning year for many like me who are just starting to get into DMX and RGB... Personally myself, this next year will be my big switchover. I (and many others I'm sure) will be bombarded with "you need this"! We will all need some sort of hand holding (even after reading the manuals) from those who have ventured down the path before us.

I will be quickly using up the one universe and will need to look at the best way to add more for other elements in my display.

The RPM bridge was a "settable" IP, similar design/UI to the sandevices products.

Would expect this one to be very similar.

And if you think about it, not being able to assign an IP to match your network layout really limits its usefulness; its pretty much required.