Light-O-Rama Forums

Two different shows with LOR

Guest guest

Guest guest

Is it possible to create 2 separate shows and alternate the nights that they run? The first show would have different songs than the second one.
This may be more work than needed! I am thinking that it would give a little variety to those coming by to see the show, they wouldn't get bored with the same songs over and over again.
Has anyone ever tried this?

Craig

Guest guest

Yes you can do two different shows. Actually you can do a lot more. That what the scheduler is for. The only thing that is really any extra work is the sequences that you need to do to make the second show. If each show is just a subset of your group of already produced sequences you have very little extra work to do. You can create a little kids show for early and a big kids show for later and /or a Rock show one night and a country the next. Pretty much whatever you want.

Guest guest

I guess my question about 2 separate shows was kind of dumb, it makes sense that you could do that with the scheduler!

What other kinds of things could you do? (maybe another dumb question!)
Last year my show was rather basic, started at 6pm, ran through the animations with some annoucements mixed in between the songs, then ended at 10pm.
What could I do the spice it up a bit?

Craig

Guest guest

Craig Haven wrote:

What could I do the spice it up a bit?

Craig

The real kicker for our show is the snow coming from the roof! Everyone remembers it, even from year to year. Kids "squeal", teenagers shout "Kool" and adults go "Wow"! We have two machines which allows us to hit the snow hard when there is a big crowd, making all the more impact.

We use the snow between shows. With the shows and the snow, most everyone who visits our island learns where "That House" is, via word-of-mouth.

Also, during our static (all on between shows) portion of our display, I make the 2-Story Christmas Tree swoosh occasionally, or the small trees on the brick wall "run" for a couple of seconds. Kids with their sharp eye always say, Did you see that?

Craig, if you would add a photo of your display to your account information, we could make specific suggestions.

Guest guest

I have attached a picture of my house. The tree with the lights wrapped around the truck is gone, so is the bush next to the mailbox - hard to see but it hides some of the mini trees. I am in the process of redoing the landscaping.

Attached files 131823=7831-house.gif

Guest guest

Suggestions:

Spread out the row of mini trees to the left for a more dramatic "running effect".

Also enlarge the group of mini trees to the right.

Try a splash of color, say red & green to just one element

Recommend that you add this great photo to: MY ACCOUNT - PROFILE - PICTURE

Guest guest

This year I am making about 10 new minis, with 3 colors - red, blue and green with a channel for each color. I plan to line the arched driveway with them. The arched driveway could actually have about 20 minis spaced 2' apart, but that is 60 channels just for the minis. I currently have 80 channels total, I am planning on buying more controllers, but I am trying not to go overboard on my spending. Last year was my first year and buying 5 controllers kind of put the budget over the top!
I am also planning 3 mega trees, one tree with red/white (one channel for red and 12 channels for white), another tree green (one channel for green and 12 for white) and another tree blue/white (one channel for blue, 12 channels for white); the 12 channels will spin, fade, etc.
For the eves I am planning C-9's red, green, blue and white icicles. I am also planning on washing the walls with colored floods (or maybe PAR cans) in red, blue and green.
So this year has alot more color which should be really nice.
The 2 show idea was just a thought, my thinking was to have two different styled shows. But I think I will not do that this year, to much extra work on sequencing (sequencing is my weakness, getting better, but still a challenge!!)

Craig

Guest guest

Last year I had 6 songs, total of 30 min. My wife said no one would stay and watch it all, so I divided into two shows and alternated nights. This lasted about week and a half and I re-scheduled to run all 6 songs each night. People stayed and watched the whole thing, sometimes twice.

James

Guest guest

I had 6 songs plus I have Linus reciting Luke while just lighting my nativity, this was in the middle of the show, I played slower songs before it and after it. At first people didn't know what to think of the show, I would explain the show when asked. So people who didn't know how long it was, would leave after one song, but then return another night, then they discovered that there was several different songs.

When I initially posted the question about running two shows, I was thinking it would give the lights more variety and not become boring, I also forgot that the scheduler would let you schedule as many shows as you want within the timeline. grin!
After talking to many folks about the lights they enjoyed watching the same show over and over again, I guess it is like watching the same movie over and over.
I don't know how many folks do different shows on alternating nights, I can see the advantages to doing one show or two shows. It is a matter of personal perference.
I think I better stick with one, hard enough to sequence the songs for one show!!!

Craig