Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR on Windows 2003 Server

Guest guest

Guest guest

Is anyone running LOR on Windows 2003 server? I plan on installing a server at home, and figure that as long as the server is already on, it may as well be the maching running LOR at Christmas time. :waycool:

Thanks for any info.

D.T.

Guest guest

I think I remember discussion on this in the past, and it did not work. I did a search, but couldn't find the posting. I hope my memory serves me correctly. :?

Guest guest

That's interesting. I was planning on installing Windows 2k3 server on my current PC (I'm getting a new PC for XP this weekend). I wasn't going to put LOR on the server, but now I want to try and see why it won't work. If someone has more information about it, let me know so I don't waste my time. I already have a dedicated computer for LOR, but the server idea would make more sense if it worked.

Guest guest

You could use VM Player on the ‘server’ and have Windows XP running on the same box. I do this on my Work laptop so ‘Technically’ LOR isn’t installed on my ‘work’ computer. It works and runs fine, I just recommend a lot of RAM.

Guest guest

Yes - we ran LOR on a Windows 2003 server at my commercial / municipal project site this past year. Didn't have a single issue. 752 channel project using a USB485b adapter and multiple ELL's.

If you have any specific questions, please post here or e-mail me. The machine was a 2 year old P4 with 1 GB of RAM.

Jeff

Guest guest

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys. Seeing that a couple of you ran LOR without issues gives me some confidence to forge ahead. I just brought the server home tonight, and will be finishing the W2003 install this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

D.T.

Guest guest

Aaron -

It's nothing fancy... It's an IBM x-Series 206. 2.8GHz P4, 512MB RAM, 2x34GB 10K RAID drives. I'll probably upgrade the hard drive capacity and RAM so I can use the server for backups of the rest of the PCs on the network. Besides the backups, it's primary use will be as the DC for the domain. (And LOR, of course).

D.T.