Light-O-Rama Forums

Other uses for LOR

Guest guest

Much to my wife's dismay, I was thinking that it would be a waste to only use LOR for christmas so I began wondering if anyone has used LOR to control things other than lights.

I was thinking along the lines of water jet fountains. Something like using some of the channels for different color spots (underwater) and some channels for the different fountain pumps. Has anyone attempted this and if so, how did you do it?

Since most valves or pumps would normally work on a low voltage system and LOR boards are designed for high voltage, how could you do this.

I guess in general what I'm asking is if there is such a thing as a low-voltage version of the CTB16d?

I throw two huge pool parties each summer and thought about putting on a show for them. Don't ask me where I'd get the pumps from. I know anything decent requires compressed storage tanks, but maybe something much smaller!:devil:

Thanks

Michael

I am going to use mine for some pneumatic props for Halloween, I have a skeleton playing the organ and an going to sync his playing to the music. All of my valves are 110v so it is pretty easy to do. Also someone posted some instructions on rewiring a fog machine to work with LOR controllers. I may do a show for the 4th of July just to play with the controllers a little more, not sure what I'll do though. I know some other people here use them for other holidays/effects.

Thanks

I have purchased the LOR software and I'm waiting for the boards to be re-stocked. I figured, I'd use this summer and Halloween as a dry run for the holidays. I may put up all the house lights in the nice balmy month of October than use LOR to control both Halloween my halloween displays, fog machine and the Red/Green combos of lights. Save the white for christmas.

PS, My fog machine has a constant on switch that I can use. Right now it's wired to an x10 appliance module and rigged to an x10 motion sensor around the corner of the house.

I use MP-C to control a fountain in the lake in front of our home. These allow you to use other voltages by using SSRs for control. In my case I use 12 volt DC to control the valves on the fountain. You would need to check with Dan about if and when he plans to build more of these.

Not much help in thefountain depatment but, you could have a LOR house! You cound have all of them in the attic and un the channles to the rooms of your house! Most outlets will let you separate the bottem from the top outlet. It would be so COOL! You sit down to watch a movie, their is a laptop on the table, the movie starts you click and the lights dim!

----Daniel L

Dan:

I use x10 for that. It is a much cheaper and easier solution. You don' t need to re-wire your house. You just change out your outlets to SR227. You buy a transeiver and a remote and you can change any light in your house from your TV remote control. Here is what you need. Note: prices are from X10.com and/or Smarthome.com and can probably be obtained cheaper on ebay.

5in1 Remote and keychain fob kit part 4009 (~$50.00)

For each switch you want to change, you need an SR227. (~$15.00)

IF you wanted to program lights/appliances...etc in your house to run automatically, you would need software and an interface module. CM11A module and Activehome software ($50.00). Note: I haven't seen a single person happy with the newer version of Activehome. IF you can get the older version and serial port module (instead of USB) you will be better off.

Hope that helps.