Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Controller

ShayneT

I have a question for those with more experience than me.

I am jumping into smart pixels this year. I cannot decide between E682 or the ECG-P12R. My situation is I have different length strings. The ECG-P12R mentioned that each string length can be set individually, can the E682? All pI like the idea of using the E682's balanced DMX to run other DMX elements, if I read right. All pixel types are 12v 28111.

The E682 should also have this functionality.

The main difference between the two is the E682 has more features including a balanced DMX output and more pixel type support compared to the ECG-P12R which has a far cheaper per channel cost. There are other differences, but they are the main differences.

So its features vs cost

As far as different string lengths it really doesnt matter if you set them up with more pixels than you actually have connected, so this really wouldnt be a limitation for you

Edited by edvas69

Right now the ECG-P12R does not support 2811 pixels. Ed says they are on the way via firmware update to 2.0b...which isn't available yet...

Right now the ECG-P12R does not support 2811 pixels. Ed says they are on the way via firmware update to 2.0b...which isn't available yet...

Is there any update when 2811 compatibility may be available? I kind of like the web interface better.

Is there any update when 2811 compatibility may be available? I kind of like the web interface better.

A revison software should be seen before the end of the month i would expect, its not too far. You can still use 2811 for testing puposes with the P12R using the 1804 output code but what you will see is some flickering due to the slight timing differences between the 2 codes.

The E682 should also have this functionality.

The main difference between the two is the E682 has more features including a balanced DMX output and more pixel type support compared to the ECG-P12R which has a far cheaper per channel cost. There are other differences, but they are the main differences.

So its features vs cost

I am looking at tackling pixels this year as well and would straight up like to know which one you think is better. Also how you figure the P12R is cheaper per chanel

Thanks

Pete

I am looking at tackling pixels this year as well and would straight up like to know which one you think is better.

Thanks

Pete

How baised of an opinion do you want? The way your question is worded it is impossible to answer.

Many of us own one or the other or both. The person that just owns one brand will say that the brand they spent their money on is the best otherwise they would look very foolish. Be very careful (suspicious) of those answers. Most of the time what they own is all they have seen or used.

The ones that own both may use one brand in one part of their display and the other in another part, depending on the application.

They are both very good units and each may have their own strengths and weaknesses. I was was fortunate enough to have access to both, and after careful study of what I wanted them to do in my application, made my decision.

The honest answer to your question is for YOU to decide what YOU expect the controller to do in YOUR application (display) and which types of lights YOU are going to use, no one else can tell you.

So decide on your pixel type, how many and where in your display you will be using them, then do your own research and study of each controller and make your own decision. In my opinion, when dealing with pixels,, what works well for one person may not be the best for the the next persons display.

Study up on them. No such thing as taking a lazy shortcut.

I am looking at tackling pixels this year as well and would straight up like to know which one you think is better. Also how you figure the P12R is cheaper per chanel

Thanks

Pete

Now my opinions will be biased so what its worth, here is my reasoning

Both the J1SYS and Sandevices E1.31 controllers offer great value and features for the cost. I have Both J1SYS and Sandevices controllers and i like both of them for different reasons.

But i do perosnally prefer the J1SYS controllers based on the easy setup, user interface and cost per universe, the added faetures of the E682 are not needed for me so it would be wasted money on features i wont ever need (dimming curves for 3001 & 3005, extra pixel support, 6803 dimming, DMX balanced output)

The J1SYS controllers can be setup using the Universal boot loader which make it far easier to initially setup as you can setup your controller via USB or your network, but this may not be a big thing for many as setting up your controller is not something you do all the time.

The E682 will do upto 8 universes from 16 outputs (4080 channels 1360 pixels) for a cost of $180 for a built and tested unit (4.41 cents per channel)

The ECG-P12R will do upto 12 universes from 12 outputs (6120 channels 2040 pixels) for a cost of $170 for a built and tested unit (2.78 cents per channel)

Now the E682 becomes very good value if your prepared to build your own with a cost of $109 which works out to be 2.67 cents per channel

But a built and tested ECG-P2 will do upto 8 universes from 2 outputs (4080 channels 1360 pixels) for a cost of $68 which equates to 1.67 cents per channel and is designed for a more distributed layout then the more centralized approach of the P12R and E68x controllers

In the end they will all drive pixels, what you need to decide is what will best suit you for your needs as each controller serves the community very well and are both designed by 2 very talented US developers.

Edited by edvas69
  • Like 2

Thanks

Pete

Asking a community forum with a vast amount of users which controller is better will yield as many answers as asking how long a piece of string is.

The only real answer to which one is "better" is which one are you going to be happier with? Or which one better fits your display needs?

The Sandevices and J1Sys controllers are both solid units that each have features that might make them "better"

As the hardware and firmware of each evolves I see the gap becoming closer making it harder to decide.

I have been very happy with the 3 E681's I bought. I wanted to use pixels that weren't supported by the J1sys (at the time, it might now)

Plus the balanced DMX output saved me some time and cost in installation. This doesn't mean it will be perfect for you.

Best thing to do is do some research, and then make a decision and bite the bullet, quickly...

Scott

Similar answer here - the pixels I am using weren't supported by the J1sys, at least as of the time I did research last spring. I've been happy with the E681 (although as noted the setup interface is a little 'basic'*) and will be upgrading my 2 units to E682's. Why? Because I can get away with 2 682's but would need 3 681's for my mega-tree count. Actually I could get away with 1 681 and 1 682 but I like standardization :)

Also note the group buy for the 681 was bout $90 for an unassembled kit, about half the price of a "wired and tested" unit. Great value if you're a penny pincher like myself :) (Actually the E680 is a fraction of that cost, but I liked the extra features of the 681/2)

Use the one that makes the most sense to you - both are good products (or so I"m told)

*EDIT to clarify: The setup functionality is quite rich. The user interface is basically a command-line, not a GUI, which is why I called it 'basic'.

Edited by Tim Fischer

I apologized for somewhat miss leading that I had just fell into this thread and asked not doing any research. I have done extensive research, and am getting very familiar with the two controllers discussed here. But being that this will be my first step into pixels, I dont have any hands on time with these controllers and was hoping (and received, thank you) for some general "why I use" type answers.

I thank everyone for there posts, and seen as my pex pipe came in today, I am off to order my controller and a pile of pixels.

Thanks again,

Pete

Guest wbottomley

How baised of an opinion do you want? The way your question is worded it is impossible to answer.

Many of us own one or the other or both. The person that just owns one brand will say that the brand they spent their money on is the best otherwise they would look very foolish. Be very careful (suspicious) of those answers. Most of the time what they own is all they have seen or used.

The ones that own both may use one brand in one part of their display and the other in another part, depending on the application.

They are both very good units and each may have their own strengths and weaknesses. I was was fortunate enough to have access to both, and after careful study of what I wanted them to do in my application, made my decision.

The honest answer to your question is for YOU to decide what YOU expect the controller to do in YOUR application (display) and which types of lights YOU are going to use, no one else can tell you.

So decide on your pixel type, how many and where in your display you will be using them, then do your own research and study of each controller and make your own decision. In my opinion, when dealing with pixels,, what works well for one person may not be the best for the the next persons display.

Study up on them. No such thing as taking a lazy shortcut.

AMEN!

In the case of the original poster's question, you currently have only one choice. The Sandevices hardware supports your WS2811 pixels, the Joshua1 hardware does not. It is not a matter of cost per pixel, when the hardware touted as being "cheaper per pixel" cannot control the pixels being used. These are the simple facts.

Jeff

Jeff i have tested my 12 strip tree on the weekend with the ECG-P12R using 2811 strip, I had the the outputs set to use the 1804 code at a refresh rate of 2400, I had 5 metre extensions, The Tree worked perfectly with no signs of flicker which I did see when i was bench testing individual strips. Similar results have also been reported by others. So even in its current state it appears that the P12R supports the 2811 IC as the code from the 1804 is very similar and is what is used in a modified way in the E68x controllers to drive the 2811 pixels anyway.

Now there will be an update soon that will add official support for these which will be easy to update.

So in reality support seems to be the same as it currently stands. So not really a deal breaker as you make out.

Edited by edvas69