Light-O-Rama Forums

light Stringers

ezimnow

Can someone guide me to the Posting for making your own stringers? I want to make my own stringers for some C-9 retro dimmables. Not able to find anything except where to buy them.

I'm build my own this year. fairly easy. I'm attaching c9 to 3/4" PVC and using clips to attach them under my eves.

I made approx. 10' lenghts with connectors on each end. Three colors spaced every 4" (Red, Green, White). Zip tie on each side of bulb.

Items Used:

500' spool 12" spacing C9 string from HD

male/female spt-1 wire connectors

C9 LED bulbs (Red, Green, and White)

Metal clips from Ace Hardware

Zip ties (Alot of them)

3/4" PVC

3/4" PVC connetors

hopefully thats what your looking for.

Yesit is. But I was curious to see if anyone was or could use the string from a Incandecent C-9 and just cut to length and replace the Plug end. I was trying to eliminate buying the spool as I have a ton of C-9 Incandecent strings laying around

Yes you can cut Incandecent C9 and replace the plug. No different than creating custom length strings. I did that last year on my TUNE TO sign. I bought a regular C9 incan string and cut it.

FYI......Dont try this with LED C9 premade strings. Won't work.

Yes you can cut Incandecent C9 and replace the plug. No different than creating custom length strings. I did that last year on my TUNE TO sign. I bought a regular C9 incan string and cut it.

FYI......Dont try this with LED C9 premade strings. Won't work.

I'm curious why it wouldn't work with premade strings?

b/c the LED c9 premade strings don't use retrofit bulbs, they are part of a string that has (rectifiers)sp. you can not add or take away from these strings. It changes voltage/amps excerta.

I'm not a electrical engineer so don't get technical on me. I have worked with LEDs enough to know without extensive work you can't just cut LED's strings and make your own custom lenghts. that's what the person above asked about. he/she is using incans so there's no need to go into the details of modifing LED strings. there are other topics just on this subject.

Hey guys saw this chat open again...Actually I am using LED retro's in a incandecent string....so the difference would be screw type C-9 Retro LED bulbs in a used Incandecent string

Eddie

Hey guys saw this chat open again...Actually I am using LED retro's in a incandecent string....so the difference would be screw type C-9 Retro LED bulbs in a used Incandecent string

Eddie

Your fine. Each bulb is rated for the 120v in the string (the resistor is inside each bulb). LED's use less power than incans.

The string (only) you are talking about is no different then buying the spools that are talked about ( (2)types spt-1 and spt-2).

These strings can use either c9 incans "OR" c9 retrofit LED bulbs.

When making long runs make sure you watch how much power you pull throught the wire.

Example...you can only attach some many strings together end to end.

Disclamer

...the premade strings i refered to above are store bought LED c9 strings that have rectifiers (resistors) at each end of the string. these can't just be cut and plugs added to make custom length strings. see topics about modifying LED strings.

Edited by dknahoolewa

Understood. As the C-9 incandecent, you are not supposed to connect more than 3 sets of 25 bulbs. I realize that the LED's consume much less. My purpose for this was to actually cut down the total length. So I will be using less than 25 LEd C-9 per ..

Appreciate all the info...

Eddie

But remember this too. The ican C9 bulb is what 7 or 9 watts each. While the retrofit LED C9 bulb is just under 1 watt each. So you can put at least 7 strings of 25 bulbs without an issue.