Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 2

Guest guest

What's the latest with LOR II? I'm waiting to purchase some DMX lights for this year's display and being new to them I want to make sure that I get the right stuff.

FandomFilms wrote:

What's the latest with LOR II? I'm waiting to purchase some DMX lights for this year's display and being new to them I want to make sure that I get the right stuff.

We will have DMX this year ( 100%) certainty...

We have the open DMX interface module as described in Jerry's post. It is somewhat trivial to interface to that module and it is great for some applications. However it is not the best fit for LOR so we will be providing our own interface module.

With LOR a lot of work is accomplished in the controllers and to keep with that distributed model the DMX interface will need to emulate a LOR controller. It is certainly not the only way things can be accomplished but we believe it is the best way.

If the DMX modules are not yet in stock during this year's sale we will be taking pre-orders at sale prices.

Dan,

Can you give us any idea on how LOR will control the DMX software wise? Will this be another screen to enter DMX values or will each box in the grid have a drop down menu?

I am looking forward to this

I was just looking over the material on AL's dmx module to try and get a head start. I really hope the LOR controller does more than the 16 channels that AL's DMX-1 controller does.

I just bought two Elation Focus Spot 250 moving heads to use this year and they are 11 channels each. With AL's controller board, I would have to buy two DMX-1 boards right off the bat to control my two moving heads.

I would hope the LOR DMX controller would handle 32-64 channels on a single controller, if not more.

bhays wrote:

I was just looking over the material on AL's dmx module to try and get a head start. I really hope the LOR controller does more than the 16 channels that AL's DMX-1 controller does.

I just bought two Elation Focus Spot 250 moving heads to use this year and they are 11 channels each. With AL's controller board, I would have to buy two DMX-1 boards right off the bat to control my two moving heads.

I would hope the LOR DMX controller would handle 32-64 channels on a single controller, if not more.

Hello Bhays

I too have been reading the AL site for information. The controller I have been reading about is a 32 channel controller though, Part No. BDMX
http://www.animatedlighting.com/products/lccomponents.asp

I didn't see the 16 channel controller.

I have a one Chauvet Q-spot, 9 channels

Two Chauvet LED Techno Strobe RGB, 6 channels, set to same channels. To wash the front of house.

Five DP-DMX20L dimmer packs, 4 channels per, I will probally use these for outdoor spots, I was thinking about pointing these up in a tree. Set to the same channels. I'm not sure if im going to be using all 5 or not.

19 channels total

Happy DMXing

Tim

I didn't see that one, that's workable. The DMX-1 I saw must have been the earlier version.

I am tempted to pick up some of the led par cans, but it seems wasteful at this stage when Par64's are so cheap and bright with dimmer packs. Now, if I were a DJ and loading that stuff in and out of a hotel or reception hall every Friday and Saturday night, those LED cans would be the stuff, that's for sure.

Bhays

I forgot to say in my earlier post, that you brought up a very good point.

I would hope LOR supported lots of channels on the first release. We wont have to go back and add more controls at a later date. 136 seems to be the standard, or split point on DMX control boards.

I thought about getting some ParCans also, but they arent weather proof either.
I'm going to have a tough enough time trying to protect my Q-Spot from the weather.

Since the Q-Spot has to go in the front yard to do any good. It has to go in a clear water tight housing, that protects it from the elements, yet keeps it cool. Plus it has to tie into my security system some how! Wireless is a good thing.

I have four security cameras on the front of my house now. I will be moving two of them to point at the Q-Spot when Christmas arrives.

I plan on mounting My Q-Spot in my tree which sits at the front of my house, about 18 or so feet in the air, it will be facing the house. I will have to make sure it doesn't ever turn to the street or my neighbors front window. This will be a challenge for me. But, I'm up for it.

DMX is a wonderfull thing, and it worked well at sisters 60 bday party. Thats how I justified the cost of this stuff. "Well, of course, I'm going to be using it at Christmas also" :P

Good Luck on your DMX adventure, as we will be writing the book for LOR DMX control as we go. I'm ok with that. Bring it on!

Tim

I just went to the Chauvet Road show in Atlantic City. They have some amazing products out there. There is this line of LED Floods (COLOR-ADO). There is a single COLORADO-1 and a triple bank (COLORADO-3). These lights are all weatherproof and are amazing.

They just came back from doing a carnival in Alaska. They actually froze the COLORADO INSIDE blocks of ice to illuminate ice statues. They worked flawlessly.

They also have a relatively inexpensive computer interface (<$300) that can be used with their free SHOWEXPRESS software. I believe it goes up to 256 channels.

Dan:

Will LOR II work with other DMX interfaces? Specifically the CHAUVET interface controllers (Xpress100; X-Factor; Xpress plus)? If I read what you are saying, I think your answer to this is no.

Thanks