Light-O-Rama Forums

Built new controller, LOR software doesn't see controller

DGraham

Hey gang, I have built the High-Power controller and have completed it. I get the fast flashing LED, but when I go to use the software to locate the controller, it doesn't find it. I hooked up my old one just to make sure my Cat-5 cable was good and it found it. Any ideas. I have done the reset gig, with go to 00 on the switches, leave it on for a min and then power off and go back to 01.

Thanks

So you know your usb adapter and cable are fine. Both cat-5 jacks acting the same way? Not sure what kind of kit (i.e., simply dongle install, or full blow kit), but can't hurt to take a good look and make sure the processor chip, and the 8 pin chip (U1 on the older boards I have) are seated firmly. If its a full blown build-from-scratch kit, would also look at solder connections overall, especially on those two chips, and the cat-5 jacks. Also, if an older D or K kit, may need a jumper across the two top pins on J0 depending on whether you have the deluxe upgrade. Not sure if those kits are even available anymore.

my kit is the blue board has the word alex on the upper left corner. it is a full blown High-Power kit

Ok, I have double-checked my solder work on the board, focused on the Cat-5 jacks and the CPU. I do know when I put the two rotary wheels to 00, the LED flashes fast. and when I put it back to 01 it flashes like no data connection. and I also extracted the CPU, and re-inserted it. no change.

ok all is good, I out of sheer madness decided to grab abother cat-5 cable. Wow, I am good. Funny thing is, I can use the original Cat-5 cable on the first controller and it had no problems.

Happy lighting time for me now :)

If different cables work like that, check both cat-5 connectors on both controllers. The 'springy wires' inside those connectors can sometimes come out of alignment. It may be that cable works with one and not the other because of that.

all is great, it is an intermittant cable I was able to test out the entire controller and combine both controllers to ensure they were working together. Again thanks for all the help on this.