Light-O-Rama Forums

A controller question from a newbie

oilmoney

Hi! I've been looking online at some of the sequences for a configuration of 12 CCR's and they say it's based on 256 channels. As i'm new to this ( less than a week ) I was curious,,, does this mean that I'd need 1 show director ( pc or standalone ) linked to 16 16 channel controllers ( to equal 256 channels ) just to run in this configuration? Oh my, say it ain't so, I might have to take out a second mortagage on the house and the housing prices are unrealistic here already!

I realize I'm new and I hope that my obvious lack of knowledge is the reason for this question and hopefully the above statement is misunderstood by me but if it's true all I ask is be gentle. Thank you once again in advance. Hopefully this is posted in the right forum or I'm really gonna hear about it! LOL

Right now the only thing blinking is my eyes!!!!!!

the CCR, CCB, CCP are intelligent lighting that have an oboard intergrated circuit that will control each section, so a CCR for example is made up of 50 controllable sections to make up 150 channels. The CCRs, CCb and CCP all come with their own controller so all you need is 2 USB dongles so you can split your CCR network into 6 strips each.

Now the 16 channel controllers are for running dumb lighting, that means lighting that does not have individual controlled sections, like traditional strings of light. So 2 very different forms of lighting and control and not needed if using CCRs. 12 CCRs are still going to cost you 1 arm though.

Yeah, they're already ordered so I'm over the pain of that but I'm relieved that it's not going to cost me a couple more grand for controllers! Thanks again!

nowhere near 256 channels,as stated they come with their own controller so it's really 1800 channels. looks like alot but rememeber each pixel has three channels red green and blue.

Edited by james campbell

I realize I'm new and I hope that my obvious lack of knowledge is the reason for this question and hopefully the above statement is misunderstood by me but if it's true all I ask is be gentle.

Be gentle? If you are starting your first year in this hobby with 12 CCR's (1,800 channels) you can take anything this group can dish out!!

My hat's off to you bud! Good luck and I hope you have already started sequencing.

Scott

Guest Don Gillespie

Yeah, they're already ordered so I'm over the pain of that but I'm relieved that it's not going to cost me a couple more grand for controllers! Thanks again!

a couple of grand is nothing for you oil barons up north, :P welcome aboard if you are the only one doing this in fort Mac be prepared for a lot of traffic, they will be very impressed.

a couple of grand is nothing for you oil barons up north.

I agree, what $2,000. Heck you spend that much & more each month just on rent up there. :P

Actually you could have bought those 11 controllers that I sold this past summer & saved a wack of dollars. Remember this thread for next year because I am probably selling between 8 to 10 of my last 12 controllers.......maybe all 12.

Guest wbottomley

I agree, what $2,000. Heck you spend that much & more each month just on rent up there. :P

Actually you could have bought those 11 controllers that I sold this past summer & saved a wack of dollars. Remember this thread for next year because I am probably selling between 8 to 10 of my last 12 controllers.......maybe all 12.

I'm selling 18-20 myself next year.