Light-O-Rama Forums

Thoughts on sequenced lights and static lights

TWright

I agree with Pete - if it works for you, do it.

Having said that, I personally don't like the look of combining static and synchronized, and wouldn't do it myself. Way too distracting for my taste, and massively dilutes the effect of the synchronization when only some things are turning on and off.

I am the opposite of George, I use a combination of both in my display, and it is what my visitors tell me sets me apart from others they have seen. I arrange my yard in vignettes, and not all vignettes are animated, and in some, I do both. So it comes down to personal preference and the message you are trying to convey.

Thanks for your thoughts. For the past 4 years I have had a completely sequenced yard. Now, I've gotten the bug to revise my setup and was curious to see if others had gone this route.

• 2 weeks later...

We run static and computerized in our display,but it is only some floods on the house and the landscaping. Our thinking is when your sequence is over, the visitors still have lights to look at instead of darkness. We also have a large static display in our side yard away from the computerized portion. Neither take away from the musical portions of the display and the visitors come to see lights whether they are blinking or not.

SPaschall

I'm going to have non-controlled deer as they are annimated as well as a couple of trees that have their own controllers for a twinkle effect. I'm also adding some simple trees that will be on a background sequence that will run on their own but yet I can override and control as needed. Most all the rest will be controlled. When the setup time comes, that might change a little.

I'd love to eventually get to all sequenced. But this is my first year out, and budget is only going to allow me one controller. So unless I hook everything up to 16 channels, I'm going to have to have some static stuff. That, and a lack of free time and skills to sequence a lot of my own stuff (I'll be depending on the generousity of so many folks who are willing to share sequences) also make it a challenge. Heck, I started watching the LOR videos on YouTube 2 weeks ago and have only had time to watch 6 or 7 of them so far, haven't even tried doing my own stuff yet.

Some items I have like some Stars and Snowflakes have their own controller system, so those I allow to operate independantly on a timer stake, although sometimes I have put them on a controller, but only use 100% ON with these type of lights that have their own built in controller. Used them that way for 2 years on a CTB16PC controller 1 channel for the 20 stars {2 sets of 10} and 1 channel for the 20 snowflakes {2 sets of 10}. This way I could turn them off during a song where I didn't want them operating.

And even though some may call it a waste of a channel to do that, well I also do it with lights I may have on as static (20%-50% depending on whether they are LED {20%} or incandenscent {50%} in my display. This way I have full control of all my elements and can have them on, off or also be part of the show in specific songs.

Some songs like Still Nacht {Silent Nignt in German} I have most lights on as a soft static glow and have a Blowmold character emulate like it's singing the song. And a few other elements synchronized.

And as others say, it all pertains to your perception and how you want things to operate within your display and elements within the display. I even dance my lights on my animated and non-animated wireframe deer in some songs.

Again, personal taste and what you feel works out best for you and your viewers.

I do both also, there is just some stuff like reindeer, and blow mold for me that are static, works for me,

Same for me. I'm on a corner, my show is actually in my side yard facing the main street. My front yard area is mostly static so it doesn't bug my neighbors and wouldn't really add to the show if it were controlled.

I do both as well. Works for me & folks like it including myself. Besides, not everyones set up is the same & I personally cannot have the house lights flash simply because my setup is on the front deck which covers the face of the house for the most part.

All blowmolds, deer & things like that are static too as others have said about their display..