Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC's, LED's, Megatree questions

Guest guest

I'm planning on a c6 LED megatree, 4 colors (RWBG), 16 strands per color, 48 channels total.

I want to find a metal box to securely mount at the base of the megatree to prevent theft/vandalism. Inside the box I will mount 4 CTB16PC's, and 24 2-outlet wall plugs, which I read can be converted to single's by breaking off the tabs connecting them. I'm not too crazy with the idea of 48 dangling cords, I think the outlets would make setup easier. Also inside would be a power strip to connect the 4 boards to.

Questions:

Since I'm running LED's, I believe the regular CTB16PC heatsinks are adequate. Is there any reason I should upgrade to the high power heatsinks? @$18x4 =$72 extra, that's half of another board I could get.:]

Does the CTB16PC's require a ground? I'm planning on using SPT2 cord to connect each channel to an outlet plug. I'm wondering if I could also use SPT2 to go from the board to the power strip, or if I need the ground wire.

Would it be a good idea to replace the 15 amp fuses with 10 amp fuses based on the SPT2 amp rating? I'm not going to use anything but LED's, so I won't get anywhere near 10 amps, but wondering from a safety standpoint.

Anyone know of a cheap source for a metal box that will fit 4 boards & outlets? I'm probably going to search out local scrap/surplus stores. I've seen some military ammo boxes for sale that might work.

Anything else I might need to know?

Thanks.

You can cut the tabs on the outlet and wire the outlets to 2 separate circuits....but 64 channels in outlets is gonna take up A LOT of room! And they should be in a "outdoor" enclosure. 8 duplex outlets take up 16" x 4". Multiply that by 4 (64ch) and you have 16" by 16" plus any room for boxes and connectors. I think you'd be better of running the pigtales and save a ton of room and hassle.

I used 8 duplex (w/ cut tabs) for 16 ch in '06, plus 2 for relay's and it took up 21" by 6".

In my opinion ALWAYS run a ground. Run one to the box, to the enclosure and to the outlets if you use them.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Attached files 126882=7534-mini-IMG_1273.JPG

skibozo wrote:

Questions:

Since I'm running LED's, I believe the regular CTB16PC heatsinks are adequate. Is there any reason I should upgrade to the high power heatsinks? @$18x4 =$72 extra, that's half of another board I could get.:]

Does the CTB16PC's require a ground? I'm planning on using SPT2 cord to connect each channel to an outlet plug. I'm wondering if I could also use SPT2 to go from the board to the power strip, or if I need the ground wire.

Would it be a good idea to replace the 15 amp fuses with 10 amp fuses based on the SPT2 amp rating? I'm not going to use anything but LED's, so I won't get anywhere near 10 amps, but wondering from a safety standpoint.

The low power heats sinks are fine for applications with no more than 8 amps per 8-channel bank. The only disadvantage I can think of is mounting the boards. Normally you attach the controller to its box by the high power (regular) heat sinks -- you would need standoffs with the low power heats sinks.

A ground is not required but may help in extreme situations. E.g. if the box filled with water the power should favor the ground and pop a breaker rather than going up the data cable. In any event, I agree with Scott -- "ALWAYS run a ground."

The fuses are to protect the board. The cumulative current of individual channels can far exceed what the copper traces can stand. If you were to put 6 amps on each channel, that would be almost 50 amps on a side. While it's a good idea to protect the power cord, it's your call on replacing the fuses.